Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Some very ''Telegraph'' names from British boarding school

Earlier this week I was at a very tiny private school in rural Northern England. It literally could have been straight out of an Enid Blyton book; boarding quarters, dining hall, stables, ''tweed only'' sign in cloakroom etc. - and of course I made notes on my phone of as many as possible.

So here you are, a real-life batch of Telegraph-esque, pohhhsh ''British'' names (ages 5-12) since names / class system are regularly disgusted on NB blog posts about UK naming habits;

Orlando
    Barley (this is my dog's name so me and my mum had a chuckle)
    Harry x2
    Clement
    Lawrence
    Edmund
    Georgie
    Ludo
    Owen and a Euan (v. similar in meaning/origin)
    Charles
    Oscar
    Bertram (local significance here I think)
    Cosmo
    Will
    McAlistair
    Hamish

Katie x2
    Clemmie
    Guinevere
    Sophie
    Arabella
    Eloise
    Bea
    Immy
    Cassia
    Mhairi (VAR-ee)
    Alice and an Alys
    Theo
    Georgia
    Lara-Jane
    Saskia
    Hebe
    Jemima x2
    Elspeth
    Tara

Of course there are lots of popular names that wouldn't be amiss in any state school but there are definitely some gems in there. I assume several were shortened (Theo, Immy, Will) but I didn't see/hear longer forms.

So enjoy this stereotype-indulging list
    Last edited by oliviasarah; September 9th, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
    close to my heart / future darlings
    Rufus - Alec - Emmett - Hugh - Wilfred - Eoghan
    Billie - Estella - Jemima - Eilidh - Oona - Lettice

olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' and finally seventeen. (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

Barley. Wow. Yikes. It's very cute on a dog.

Some of these names sound like they were taken from a Catherine Tate "posh people" sketch.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

Lol, we have very different ideas of what "Telegraph" means! In Berkeley our Telegraph Avenue has been the hippie-groovy-druggie, teenage runaway, counter-culture street ever since the 1960s. Though now it's mostly just college students. I half-expected hippie names like Moondog and Dweezil.

I was surprised to find names I already like, esp. given that I have no common ground with this context. I enjoy Owen, Eloise, Bertram. But Hebe nearly made me gag a little. That is truly awful. Barley is funny because I'm allergic, it makes me gassy (sorry if tmi). Jemima refers to the Aunt Jemima maple syrup, which has a black racist mammy image as its brand. Not very posh, really.

It's such a different world where you come from! I can only imagine it as Harry Potter-esque since I have no other images to draw from. Thank you for the window into a very different place
    * My name is Adelaide Skye. I love to play with names.*
    Rowan Evangeline - Saffron Ava - Jane Calliope
    Walter Abram - Seth Constantine - Desmond Jack - Rufus Balthazar - Frank Israfel - Wolfram Zephyr - Malcolm Sebastian
    Tansy - Tula - Hannele - Maisie - Ruth - Harlow - Noelle - Holly - Seraphina - Sadie - Ambrose - Langston - Miles - Hezekiah
    Lucy Isabeau - Ingrid Onnika - Genevieve Eden - Helen Preeya - Isra Havala - Nula Rhiannon

Wow, these boarding school names are quite different from the names that abounded at my boarding school (I am Australian though, so that probably makes a difference). We had Jazz, Tayla-Lee, Jazmin, Kiana, Taylah, etc. although we did have Edwina, Sophia (before it was super popular and still was a 'posh' name), Emilia, Emelia, Amelia, Imogen (again, before it was popular and was still considered to be posh), Polly, Anneliese, Gwendolyn, Harriet, Cleo, etc. The teachers pretty much refused to call me Nooshi or even Sophie, because they didn't believe my name was Sophie, even though it was on all the paperwork. It was always Sophia at the beginning. I eventually got them to call me Sophie, but Nooshi was considered a no-no.

The description does fit my old boarding school quite well though: we had a Harry Potter-esque dining hall (albeit a bit smaller) with grace written in Latin over the door, riding stables, boarding houses with posh names like Dickens and Kirkwood, a bust of the founder (named Florence) in the entrance rose garden, skirts / kilts had to be 15cm past the middle of your knee, tennis courts, a swimming pool the teachers made us swim in in winter (yuck), a full on church, etc. I only went there for one year, because that was the year my grandparents both passed away and my parents had to travel a lot to see them when they were ill, and it was incredibly expensive- one girl who went there, her parents owned a major concrete company, and another lived in Malaysia, with her father being an inventor, just to give you an idea. These names and your description certainly do remind me of it though. I didn't really feel like myself that year, I mean, they had a lacrosse team and an on campus school museum.

I love:

Orlando
    Harry x2
    Clement
    Lawrence
    Edmund
    Georgie
    Ludo
    Charles
    Bertram
    Cosmo
    Will
    McAlistair
    Hamish

Clemmie
    Guinevere
    Eloise
    Bea
    Theo
    Georgia
    Elspeth
    Last edited by nooshi; September 10th, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
    Momo Flora
    Dossie Roland

Name List:http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9846712

privacyplease, oliviasarah was talking about http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/births; the racist Jemima image only exists here in the US.

Nooshi, I had to laugh at your lacrosse comment. In my state, it's the state team sport, so there are little lax teams everywhere and I swear every kid knows how to play it. To hear that it's considered "posh" is sort of funny to me

I like:

Lawrence
    Owen
    Charles
    Hamish

Guinevere
    Arabella
    Cassia
    Georgia
    Jemima