Names Searched Right Now:

Popularity....pros and cons

Sure, my kindergarten class was full of Jessica's, Amanda's and Sarah's, but we were always able to get by just by adding a last initial. That remedy helped us to get through the years of dance class, school plays and even soccer. When I was a kid I didn't like being the only Anne in my class. I always thought of the popular names as being "Cool". But what happens when you're entering the job market? Will this situation effect if you are hired or not? Well.....

My recent job promotion as a Director has delegated some brand new duties my way. One of which is being part of an interview and hiring team. The office is subdivided with various cubicles so our working space for at least 50 employees is fairly close. Within the area we have a few Michael's, Jessica's, Sarah's and yes Amanda's, and it can get confusing at times..... but I didn't think non-name nerds ever noticed things like that.

After interviewing 3 prospects for 2 new positions that came open, we were asked to vote by numbering them by our choice 1, 2, & 3. The team all concurred on who the number 1 pick should be, but we were at a deadlock between the other 2 prospects for the second open position. The ultimate decision was made by the V.P. of our office. When we asked her the next day how she determined her decision, she said, "We have too many people in the office whose names begin with a "K". I hear so many K-K-K-K-K's all day long. Therefore, I chose the other prospect. (we have Kayla (2), Kirsten, Kristin (3), Kiersten (2), Kirstie, Kate (3), Kelly, Kevin, Kyle, and Kerry) Wow....this reasoning really shocked me, but she was the boss and both prospects really were qualified equally.

My parents always told me that they wanted me to have a beautiful classic name, but one that wasn't in the top 200. As I get older, I definitely now begin to see why.

Does any one else have a story to share about name popularity?

There are always pros and cons to popularity, some at different times than others.

The story you shared isn't uncommon. But also, say there were two people interviewing: Sarah and Imogen. Imogen is obviously more uncommon than Sarah, but the employer has met one Imogen before and she was her arch nemesis. If she hires Imogen, she'll always think of the time when she was four, getting bullied and picked on in preschool. Moreover, Sarah has been multiple people in the employer's life, so the name won't bring up any memories for her.

It's a tricky situation, and one with a lot of luck. Popularity as a factor is important in naming because you want your baby to be special and unique but not too unique such that it hinders his or her opportunities.

I was born an Erinn in 1993. Although it's a unique spelling, I hardly ever had another Erin in my class; throughout college, it happened a total of twice, and both were the same girl. Yet still, Erin was #48 in 1993. I think the #50 range is the ideal place to be!
    erinn amelia
    a 21-year-old namenerd dreaming of:
    Audrey Kate • Laurel Athene • Talia Blue • Arielle Loren • Liora Maple
    James Aro • Henry Wilder • Julian Beckett • Asher Milo • Nathan Everett
    I apologize if I repost on the Baby Name Games board. If I do, it means someone overwrote my post. Please refresh before posting!

Basically, Kate and Katherine are bad choices?! The only problem here is ridiculous boss. Next day this boss might fire some white, male, protestant, young employee because he has red hair... and the reason won't be red hair it would be bad and silly boss.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando°Roscoe Lucius
    Freya Marigold°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Nimue°Cecily Eliska°Mabel Celestina°Gaia Melisende
    girl & boy

I cannot even understand why Americans care that much about the popularity. If a name is popular, it means it is :
    a. beautiful
    b. widely acceptable
    c. easily pronounced
    so that your child will not face all those laughs at school or later.
    My name is not very common in Germany. OK it was not very difficult to pronounce but I was sick and tired at school listening to teachers saying to other girls : "WOW! Lisa is my mother's name. How sweet and feminine" or "I have a daughter named Julia as well or even "What? Frida? As the mythological goddess, perfect!" and "Christina...As the great author of...! Oh! That's enough. I felt so sorry about my name. They asked me "What's your name?' and I answered "Eleonora R......" they said me then "Are you the daughter of .........? But Eleonora? What kind of name is it? So uncommon and not German I think.....Oh, how did they approve it?". I spent so many HOURS of crying that my name was so unpopular. A friend of mine told me that they were jealous of my name. Well, I was a teen then and I think I have believed him.
    When it came to choose our daughter's name I insisted on Daniella, my husband on Maria. My daughter is Maria to honor my husband though. I didn't choose Lisa or Julia because I didn't like them not because they were popular.
    ._._._._._._._.