Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    By the way, I think it's completely legit that you would be opposed to naming laws in the USA. You have some logical reasons for that. But I would ask you to avoid making blanket statements that don't apply to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by fourthseason View Post
    The child is the property of the parent and under the care of the parent until they are of legal age.
    I think the whole "a person being property" thing was figured out with the slaves. A person is not another person's property.

ETA: Also, the constitution allows for some taking of "rights". I mean, we allow the government to put us, the people, under surveillance 24/7, don't we? We let them collect our phone calls, e-mails, and personal information without putting up too much of a fight. We also let them sidestep the Constitution whenever it's convenient for the Feds. Would people really be up in arms about what NAMES they can and cannot use?
    Last edited by casilda; February 14th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    I think the whole "a person being property" thing was figured out with the slaves. A person is not another person's property.

ETA: Also, the constitution allows for some taking of "rights". I mean, we allow the government to put us, the people, under surveillance 24/7, don't we? We let them collect our phone calls, e-mails, and personal information without putting up too much of a fight. We also let them sidestep the Constitution whenever it's convenient for the Feds. Would people really be up in arms about what NAMES they can and cannot use?
    Actually, what the government is doing in regards to the invasion of privacy, is illegal and treasonness and Americans are in an uproar. Plus, the result of such spying-activities were deemed useless and the President announced on t.v allowing with reports conveying it. And I think, imo, the reason the citizens haven't done anything to forcefully stop it, is because our government is bullying us, strong-arming us with unnecessary laws on top of laws-all which are not legal, and as you stated, side-stepping the constitution. Americans are also not as educated in their original design of the government-the way our founding fathers intended it to be ran. Many have misunderstanding in the shift of power in the government from the federal bank transition to a private bank, owned and operated by a select few people, many people are unaware that 16th amendment isn't legal. Many many are unaware that their rights are God endowed and unalienable and that the constitution doesn't give them their rights but protect them.

Also, many don't want to be imprisoned for standing up, especially if it isn't a powerful majority of people backing them.... Anyway, With that said, it proves that government can get out of control and one thing can lead to another and more power usurped and more freedoms lost. The whole baby name restriction thing is just a minor example of control and it could lead to more control. and I find baby naming a personal experience that no one not even government needs to dictate. Also, I think more American would be upset about it than you think, especially with everything that has been going this last year: invasion of privacy, obamacare, control on guns or gun bans, the scandal with Hilary and Benghazi ect... Either way, we are getting much much more political here than need be, either way, I don't think it would fly and I don't think I could willingly back it.
    Last edited by fourthseason; February 14th, 2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Tcc

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    By the way, I think it's completely legit that you would be opposed to naming laws in the USA. You have some logical reasons for that. But I would ask you to avoid making blanket statements that don't apply to other countries.
    Yes, agreed. Other nations are just as 'free' despite having different forms of naming laws.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I like our naming law in Denmark, but honestly, I feel like it's just being "misused", as it was created to make sure that children wouldn't have name bully worthy - of course every name can be a potential tease, but the restrictions didn't come until 2006 here in Denmark, as far as I know. And yes, you cannot be named Winter, but Vinter (though it's male) here in Denmark, but I'm pretty sure that Winter would get on the list, as we have names such as:
    Willow
    Vijitha
    Saabariin
    Oluwasimilore

If you get where I'm going. Also, middle names here are quite often your mother's maiden name, but lately it's becoming a habit for the child having an actual middle.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Noah (29-5-10), Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~