Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    I can appreciate the naming laws once they have a reasonable assortment of names to choose from. Like frilly names, vintage names.
    Once the laws themselves are reasonable I can support it. I also love that they have restrictions on the spellings of names, that is definitely one trend I can get on board with.

My only real issue with the law is that I think parents should be entitled to give their kids a quirky middle name. If I like an outlandish name, I'd want to slip it in the middle spot as mostly none will know it was there.

I'm definitely pro naming laws.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I think basic naming laws are a great idea. I don't like the idea of having to "pick a name off of this list" (although if you think about it most people do that anyway...), but it's not an inherently bad idea. Like others have said, your child is not your property. They are not a car or a new pair of shoes, you do not own them and they are not their for your amusement. Some people are stupid and selfish and arrogant and don't think about the consequences of their decisions. That little squishy baby that you named Buhtturflyyeh Reighnndrawp Hunnieeyduee Blohssyme is a human being and they are going to grow up to be an adult on their own out in the world. They will have to grow up with that name and they will have to deal with the consequences of your arrogance and selfishness. You thought it was a cute, unique, super amazing name that you made up all on your own...you don't care how that impacts the person that you gave it to. This is a human being, not a puppy. It's easy to say "it's your child, you name it" when it isn't YOUR parents that decided to call you Mykhinzyleahe or Adolph Hitler or Hashtag 12th Man King Of The Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by giinkies View Post
    My only real issue with the law is that I think parents should be entitled to give their kids a quirky middle name. If I like an outlandish name, I'd want to slip it in the middle spot as mostly none will know it was there.
    Middle names are a bit complicated. You can have one, two or three given names, but middle names are actually a separate category. These are like special names that you cannot use as a given name, and which do not have an assigned gender. The rules are indeed more permissive for middle names, e.g. Ektavon was allowed as a middle name. So you could be called Jón Ektavon Jónsson, but not Ektavon Jón Jónsson. You could also be Anna Ektavon Jónsdóttir, but not Ektavon Anna Jónsdóttir. Middle names proper tend to be passed down in families, though, I don't think so many people just stick one in on a whim.

A lot of people will probably will know it's there, though - a middle name or extra given names aren't so 'secret' as they are in the UK at least. A lot of people use their full names on a regular basis and if there are two people with the same first name, they are going to be differentiated using their other given name(s) or their middle name, not their patronymic or matronymic (since that is not really a part of a person's name, just a note on who their father or mother is). E.g. in a class there might be Jón Helgi and Jón Þór, people would say that rather than Jón Sigurðsson and Jón Björnsson. It's not uncommon for people to be regularly addressed as Anna Kristín or Jón Helgi. I forgot the patronymic of the Prime Minister in a quiz recently because I just think of him as Sigmundur Davíð...

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Middle names are a bit complicated. You can have one, two or three given names, but middle names are actually a separate category. These are like special names that you cannot use as a given name, and which do not have an assigned gender. The rules are indeed more permissive for middle names, e.g. Ektavon was allowed as a middle name. So you could be called Jón Ektavon Jónsson, but not Ektavon Jón Jónsson. You could also be Anna Ektavon Jónsdóttir, but not Ektavon Anna Jónsdóttir. Middle names proper tend to be passed down in families, though, I don't think so many people just stick one in on a whim.

A lot of people will probably will know it's there, though - a middle name or extra given names aren't so 'secret' as they are in the UK at least. A lot of people use their full names on a regular basis and if there are two people with the same first name, they are going to be differentiated using their other given name(s) or their middle name, not their patronymic or matronymic (since that is not really a part of a person's name, just a note on who their father or mother is). E.g. in a class there might be Jón Helgi and Jón Þór, people would say that rather than Jón Sigurðsson and Jón Björnsson. It's not uncommon for people to be regularly addressed as Anna Kristín or Jón Helgi. I forgot the patronymic of the Prime Minister in a quiz recently because I just think of him as Sigmundur Davíð...
    That's really fascinating!

The idea of not remembering a President's surname but knowing his first name is interesting! I had to memorize all the president's surnames, but I don't think I could tell you half of their first names, and only a couple of their middle names.

But, as you said, surnames function much differently in our country than in yours.

You wrote Jónsdóttir, which I'm assuming is the patronymic for a daughter of Jón. So everyone has both a patronymic and a matronymic? Are they on official documents as part of the name or no? I guess I just wonder how they differentiate between people in an official capacity? Everyone just has multiple given and middle names?

And also, I can imagine that would get super long! Would Sigmundur's daughter be labelled as Sigmundursdottir?
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin