Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Writing Play Lists

Does anyone else end up with a list of songs that remind them of the story they're working on? I've been tapping away at 'The Self Invention' for over a year now and I've amassed quite a list. Some of them are spot on in regards to the story, some have a certain line that I identify with in terms of SI and some of them are just a feeling. I thought you might like to listen:

Abba:
    Does Your Mother Know. (Bit of fun regarding Cash Lockett and Princess Ayella, from her perspective anyway.)
    One of Us. (Grace and Cash Lockett.)

Regina Spektor:
    Oedipus. (Where the whole thing started. The book's base inspiration.)
    Lady. (Lady Morrowe.)

Pink:
    Just Give Me a Reason. (Cydrid Roux and Olav von Gartenfeld Hasley. Exactly.)

Imagine Dragons:
    Bleeding Out. (Cash Lockett and Twist. Exactly.)

Bastille:
    Flaws. (Cash Lockett.)
    Laura Palmer. (Cash Lockett regarding Princess Ayella.)

Snow Patrol:
    This Isn’t Everything You Are. (Cash Lockett and Princess Ayella.)
    The President. (Cash Lockett.)

I also noticed when compiling the list that there were none that made me think of Robin... lol. I feel pretty bad for him now.
    Last edited by renrose; February 9th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Tarja's cover of "You Would Have Loved This," for the feeling of loss experienced by my main character Hugh in The Mortal Part. Otherwise, I'm usually listening to opera -- nothing specific to the story.

Wow, just last week I created a playlist on my phone titled Writing Songs. Here's part of it (I attempted to dwindle it down).

Bastille- Daniel In the Den, The Draw, Durban Skies, Flaws, Get Home, Haunt(Demo), Laura Palmer, Oblivion, Of the Night, Poet, Pompeii, Sleepsong, These Streets, Weight of Living Part I, Weight of Living Part II

The Neighbourhood- Afraid

Delta Rae- Bottom of the River

Lorde- Buzzcut Season, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Glory and Gore, Ribs, Team, Swingin Party, White Teeth Teens

The Lumineers- Charlie Boy, Flowers In Your Hair, Gale Song, Submarines

Of Monsters and Men- Dirty Paws, King and Lionheart, Silhouettes, Six Weeks

Lana del Rey- Off to the Races, This Is What Makes Us Girls, Video Games

Mumford & Sons- The Cave, Holland Road, Little Lion Man

Dia Frampton- Isabella

Sky Ferreira- Obsession, Everything Is Embarrasing

My Chemical Romance- Welcome To the Black Parade

Banks- Waiting Game

Coldplay- The Scientist
    Under Construction

I've gone through this before for sure! I used to love writing fanfictions when I was 15/16 (maybe not the same level, but still writing), and I would almost always get my ideas from songs. My favourite one was based off of a song called Heaven's Gonna Wait, by Hedley. Forever and Always by Parachute's brought me a lot of inspiration as well - I sort of gave up writing, because my stories ended up being too depressing - I only seemed to be able to pull inspiration from depressing, saddening songs, haha.

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

My current work in progress is a very similar story to the Greek myth of Persephone and Hades. Most of the songs I listen to for inspiration are sad love songs. Here are a few that go perfectly with my story and help me write:

Just Give Me a Reason, P!nk ft. Nate Ruess (love this song!)
    Say Something, A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera (so sad, so slow - perfect for my novel)*
    Chasing Cars, Snowl Patrol (probably my all time favorite song)
    Let Her Go, Passenger (doesn't completely fit the story, but helps me get in the mood to write)
    Your Song, Ellie Goulding (the most perfect song ever for the re-telling of Hades and Persephone!)*

Those were just a few of the songs that give me inspiration for my novel. Like I said, the sad, slow songs work the best for me.

*Both these songs fit Hades perspective perfectly.
    Erin; student, writer, Nerdfighter, and Slytherin.
    Favorite names of the moment: Cyra & Gideon.