Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ah-May-Lee

Amelie is ah-meh-lie so I wouldn't go with that spelling because it will definitely be pronounced wrong most of the time. I would go with Amalie.
    Andie - Mama to John, Thomas, Isla, Freya and Marigold (12/30/14).

It depends on what you see as legitimate. For me a legitimate pronunciation is either the "original" one, which in Amelie's case would be Ah-meh-lee or the one that is used in your language which can depend on the sound of the different parts / syllables of the name.
    So while most English people would know that it's Ah-meh-lee, one could also get A-mee-lye just from how the different parts would sound individually (to my knowledge it's not a pronunciation people use).
    I don't see a way you could Ah-may-lee though, unless it's how the name sounds with a certain accent.

I'm really sorry that I'm writing so negatively and maybe bring you hopes down a bit, however, the name is pretty popular in the UK, so many people would know of the pronunciation and I wouldn't want you to be disappointed when your daughter's name is pronounced "incorrectly" everywhere she goes.

Just wanted to ask if you like Ah-meh-lee at all?
    Because It would go perfectly with your other daughter's name which is amazingly stunning.
    Polly

currently loving

Arabella | Eloise | Ida | Leonor | Ophelia | Penelope | Rosalie

August | Caspar | Elliott | Oscar | Theo

I pronounce Amelie and Amélie the same. Ah-meh-lee (meh = may, just not as hard. The accent over the 'e' as in cliché.), with most of the emphasis on the "lee" not ah-MAY-lee.

Amelie I see as anglicized. Since english does not use accent marks, we drop them. Just as it is acceptable to write cliche without it.

So I think you'll get people that pronounce this like Emily with an A -- ah-mil-ee, the french way, and Ah-mah-lee. I'm not sure where you are. In the states, I have a feeling people will say it all kinds of ways, regardless of the accent mark.

I love the french way. Not so much the others. If I gave my child this name, I would use the accent mark. I really think that with the world becoming more and more international, and names definitely so, people will become more aware of other ways of speech. I hope anyway.

The wonderful french film "Amélie" will give you a great opportunity to hear it
    Last edited by aym; February 8th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.

Amaelie?....
    Check out my blog! Click here! New blog post today!

Amelie is ah-meh-lee (the three girls I know say it this way, one of them is French).

I don't personally care for am-MAY-lee, but something about Amaelie is sort of striking. Although I wouldn't suggest a misspelling usually, though.

What about Amaya/Amaia? Not quite as sophisticated but they're beautifully exotic.
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)