Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Would you DARE do it?

I'm intrigue by how many parents are fearless enough to name their child something out there. Sometimes it "appears" to be out there, but in reality that isn't the case when you look at the history and the birth records. I also think that maybe we don't pay attention to the world around us or maybe it is just the area we live in that makes some names "appear" soo out there.

I'm intrigued by the name Snowdrop, and I can't help but be drawn to the name.Its translation is snow white. It has such a clean crisp ethereal feel with a hint of frill and sweetness, it has the wonderful symbol of hope, the flower is ACTUALLY beautiful, and it REALLY has history of use.

With all those good attributes, what stops this name from being a contender with all the other floral names? Is it really an out there name or does it just "appear" to be out there? Would any of you use or HAVE named your child Snowdrop or any other unique floral name (Blossom,foxglove,Juniper, Lilac, tigerlily) and did you receive good responses?

http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog...-siblings.html

http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog...a73d67ac2a970d
    Last edited by fourthseason; February 8th, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
    Tcc

I think snowdrop seems more out there than juniper, Lilac and Blossom as it has 2 common words in it, Snow and drop. I wouldn't use snowdrop but I would use Snow. If you and ur DH like it I would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by merylp View Post
    I think snowdrop seems more out there than juniper, Lilac and Blossom as it has 2 common words in it, Snow and drop. I wouldn't use snowdrop but I would use Snow. If you and ur DH like it I would go for it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't the drop part just reflect the snow falling, much like vola (latin: the fall of) snowflake? Also, I have heard the name Lemon, nn. lemondrop.
    Tcc

My guilty pleasure names are Tiger Lily and Briar Rose.

I used to think i was brave enough, I would someday name my kids that, but now my feelings have changed.

I feel like it could be hard for a kid growing up with an "out-there-out-of-the-ordinary"
    name.

I still love those names, and I probably always will.
    I think I would use them as middles, possibly.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.

SOMEDAY
    MIA . LIV . UMA . ZOE

SIB-SETS
    TIGER LILY . BRIAR ROSE
    WINNIE . CHRISTOPHER

My name in this vein is Sweet Briar. I would definitely dare to name my baby girl this, however Briar doesn't sound very good with our last name at all.

I think the "drop" part of Snowdrop puts me off a little. However, the name Snow seems to be achieving fairly good marks. I think one way to consider it is to name her Snow and have Snowdrop be her nickname. That was what I was going to do with Briar if I wasn't feeling quite edgy enough!