Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is Hawthorne Usable?

We've been set on using Hawthorne as middle name for our upcoming May baby, but recently have been thinking it could be his first name. Is it too out there?

I like how the related nicknames look on the page (Thor, Thorn, Hawk), but not how they sound. I was thinking of maybe calling him Hal as a nickname or having his nickname be based on his middle name. Dh likes Hawthorne Julius (original idea was Julian Hawthorne, which is still under consideration), and we could maybe use Jules as nickname if we went with that first option?

I'm just not sure if it's usable or too quirky. I feel like it goes well with other sons names: Quinn, Griffin, Hawthorne

For anyone following this board closely, I think it's clear I have some reservations about using Julian for third baby boy lol. I have posted about it lots and lots. It's gotten good reception, but I feel like there's something out there that's more original... could it be Hawthorne?

Thanks in advance!

I really like Hawthorne. I also think it goes well with Quinn and Griffin.
    Fave girl combos: Anneliese Margueritte
    Fave boy combos: Benjamin Douglas nn Benji/Ben, Jackson Alexander, Josiah Joseph nn JoJo, Malachi Ry-something

Girls: Beza, Thea, Ada, Jovie, Asha, Lucy, Zia, Elise, Gianna nn Gigi, Camille, Quinn,
    Boys: Tobin nn Toby, Soren, William nn Will, Nicholas, Camden, Jameson, Elijah nn Eli, Caleb, Jacob, Thomas nn Tommy, Samuel nn Sam/Sammy, Brady, Jeremiah, Andrew, August, Jonas, Mojave

I think Hawthorne is certainly usable. It's familiar sounding (who hasn't read The Scarlet Letter in high school?) It's might get misspelled, but I highly doubt it will be mispronounced. Also, I agree, it sounds great with your other son's names. And since you were adventurous enough to use Griffin, (I know quite a few people that would think it's unusual) then I don't feel like Hawthorne is too much of a stretch for you. You should definitely go for it if Hawthorne feels right!

loco for rococo

loves: Vespera, Venus, Thisbe, Zula
    Napoleon, Percival, Tavish, Sverre, Vega

✫      *

I love it. I think it's perfectly usable and it has all sorts of nicknames -- Hawk, Thorn, Thor, Han, etc. I think it goes fine with the other boys names and Hawthorne Julius is fabulous
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I really like Hawthorne. Lots of nickname choices, and goes really well with Griffin and Quinn! Julian Hawthorne is also very handsome, but I like Hawthorne as a first name better with your other boys.
    Mom to: Andrew and Benjamin (identical twins), born April 16, 2012; and Alexander, born February 25, 2014.