Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chantal?

Chantal?

Why does everyone on here seem to hate Chantal? I think it's so beautiful. I was babysitting a cousin and her friend, and her friends name is Chantal. I thought it was gorgeous. I'm a teenager and nowhere near kids, but I'm a planner and love having a list. Why does everyone hate Chantal? Is there a bad connection to a celebrity or something that 20-30-40 year olds would know? I can't think of any Chantal's, but maybe there's a connection....TV character? Anyways, could anyone give their opinions on the name? Much appreciated,
    Ell

PS: Do you like Chantel or Chantal better? Do you pronounce them differently?

I think most people don't hate it, they just don't love it, for many it would seem dated. And while I don't mind it I do prefer Chantel/Chantelle, I hear Chantal as Shan-TAHL while Chantel/Chantelle is lighter Shan-TELL. I think it is a point where many people are considering it as it feels quite tied to the 80s and 90s at this point. I don't know of any characters with the name; but surely there would be some out there. There are some french names I like more though.
    Last edited by sodallas3; February 4th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

Jessica Emily Faith
    German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Esther- Wade - Romy - Carter

Chentelle doesn't have the best image in Australia its more of a lower class name. Chantal just seems harsh to me I don't know. It could have the same image as Chantelle? To me Chantelle is Shan-telle and Chantal is Sharn-tarl or Shan-tarl
    〜Ebs〜
    Isobel*Eloise*Matilda*Alice*Eleanor*Amelia*Elena* Mirabel* Felicity* Phoebe*Tallaulah*Eilidh*Rosalia*Roisin*Azalea*Elsa *
    Eamon*Tiago*Cooper*Jack*Jago*Flynn*Archer*Lincoln* Asher*Alfie*Taylor* Finnian* Baxter* Lawson*Jasper*Deacon*Lewis*
    babynameobsessed.wordpress.com

@ Emiliana, thanks for the point. As a Canadian, I'd never have thought of the Australian pronunciation. I'm considering moving to Australia in about 5-7 years, so that could be a problematic pronunciation if I were to ever consider Chantal as a first name. Thanks

Honestly I quite like it - spelled Chantal. I think she was a French saint. I don't like Chantel or Chantelle.

I think the majority of people would class it as tacky/lower-class/dated or what have you, which is sad because it's very pretty and a very legitimate name with a strong history.

I would pronounce it SHON-tell.
    Jemima Rosemary - Eilidh Briar - Fenella Beatrix ✿ Alec Huw - Emmett Nicholas - Rufus Caspian
    Billie, Magdalena, Imogen, Octavia, Ailbhe, Jessa, Raphaela, Agnes, Imogen, Amelia, Medora, Lettice, Annabella.
    Dylan, Breccan, Rhett, Oscar, Ingram, Harrison, William, Vincent, Wolfie, Keaton.

✿✿✿

Traveller at heart and dreaming of future babes, but mostly I'm just an expat teenage girl from England...http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/