Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Jacob -- I like Jacob but not Jake. Jacob feels dated to me. I only know one little boy with the name and grew up with a lot of them my age (mid-20's).

Mason -- Just doesn't do anything for me.

Ethan -- See Mason. I used to like this but I don't care for it anymore... I just don't see the appeal.

Noah -- Such a lovely name but lately, I've been liking Noa on a girl!

William -- It's a family name. One of my favorites. I actually have a soon-to-be 15-year-old cousin with the name and he goes by Bill (has since he was 1).

Liam -- My favorite nickname for William. Such a simple name but has personality at the same time.

Jayden -- So over the -aden names! Jayden, Kayden, Aiden, Rayden, Zayden, etc. Go away!

Michael -- So boring to me! Everyone and their brother has a Michael!

Alexander -- I dislike Alex but Alexander has sort of been growing on me lately.

Aiden -- See Jayden!!!!!
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Jacob - I've never been a big fan of Jacob...it has the word 'cob' in it. LOL! I just don't care for the sound of it. Don't like Jake, either.

Mason - HATE Mason! I just don't get the appeal at all. I used to date a guy named Jason, but I always called him Jay instead of Jason, because I don't really like that name either. Jason/Mason is like the original Aidan/Jayden/Kaden/etc.

Ethan - Meh. It's not my style.

Noah - Again, meh. I don't feel strongly about it either way.

William - I like William. It's a classic.

Liam - I prefer it as a nickname for William rather than a name of its own.

Jayden - Yuck! Extremely unappealing to me.

Michael - I like it, but it's a little bland. The nickname Mike does nothing for me, either.

Alexander - It's a good name, but not something I would use myself. I think Alex is dated and Xander is weird and trendy.

Aiden - I'm confused by why this spelling is so popular when the original is only one letter different and doesn't alter the pronunciation. I like Aidan.
    Last edited by thatkathryngirl; January 28th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Mommy to...Maura Lucille

I had a baby today, I would name him/her...
    Patrick Donley or Brigid ???

BOYS: Seamus Arthur or Niall/Neil/Neal James
    GIRLS: ???

Jacob- 9/10- I love this name. I wish it wasn't so popular or I would probably use this name, I just would feel really bad if my child had the same name as all of his friends!

Mason- 2/10- I don't like it at all.

Ethan- 8/10 yes I like this :-)

Noah- 4/10 Reminds me too much of Noah's Ark.

William- 6/10 quite like this and nn Will. Don't like Billy at all.

Liam- 3/10 a boy called Liam was pretty mean to me when I was little and I haven't yet met anyone who has redeemed the name for me!

Jayden- 2/10 I've always thought this is a bit girly. Not to my taste. Although I do have a cousin named this. He mostly goes by Jay, which I like.

Michael- 9/10 a name that has grown on me. My husband loves it and we will probably name a future son this. I like the meaning and the versatility - I think it's a name that will grow with they person. I love the nn Mikey. It's also a lot less popular here (around 50th) which I like.

Alexander- 9/10 another favourite of mine, I used to favour Alexandra for a girl so did dismiss this name a little. Now I've gone off Alexandra it is back near the top of my boys list.

Aiden- 5/10 it's ok, reminds me of sex and the city.
    My attempt at a blog is here

TTC #1

Sophie Alice Marilla
    Ivy ~ Ciara ~ Eleanor ~ Zoe ~ Katharine ~ Eva ~ Cara ~ Elizabeth

Maxwell Arthur James
    Vincent ~ Finn ~ Jack ~ Alexander ~ Leo ~ Zachary ~ Theodore

Jacob - I don't ever remember truly LOVING Jacob--at least, not like I love Caleb--but I thought it was a cool way to get to Jack. I pretty much hate Jake with a passion, so I'd never go near it, but it is a nice, timeless name. I thought it'd be so refreshing to meet a guy my age whose name was Jacob who was nice and kind and gentlemanly. I think it'd make a nice hero in a book, but I wouldn't use it, because I really, really don't want a Jake, haha.

Mason - I used to LOVE it when I first met a Mason (which was years ago--he's probably nearly 16 now), but by the time I got to college I was pretty sick of hearing it. I don't know, it was one of those names I really liked, but even though I've never met another Mason and don't hear it tossed around a ton, I just didn't keep loving it very long. It seems like a pretty forgettable name, although obviously it's not, haha.

Ethan - I remember liking it a while ago. I had Ethan Joshua and Ethan Samuel on my list at one point. I think it's nice, and I like the open and honest feeling I get with it, and I like that it dates back to Revolutionary War times. When you think about it, it's a really nice name. But I know someone with an Ethan, and I think it was about that time that I liked it less--not because I dislike her... I just don't LOVE it so much I'd like to be hearing it and using it on an everyday basis.

Noah - och, Noah. I adore him! I used him in a story when I was in middle school, and I remember thinking it was so unusual that nobody would ever use it (boy was I wrong!). I thought it was so utterly cool, and once I figured out how usable it is, I've loved it. A frenemy of mine used it a couple years ago, and ever since I just can't embrace him quite so much. I want to adore Noah, but I can't stop thinking about her and how she stabbed me in the back, so, yeah. Noah's a no. But I'd give just about anything to un-know that she has a Noah, so I could go back to loving it again. I'm pretty sad it's not as unusual as I thought it was, too, but I don't know if it'd be a deal-breaker if I wasn't so bothered by the mother of the Noah I know.

William - it's classic. It's lovely. My only problem is that I don't have any nns for it I like (Will? Too boring. Liam? Adorable, but too overused. Wim? Um, no. Bill/Billy, too dated. Willie? Um, no again. haha). I like it as a middle, but it's not a family name, so it never seems to fit on my list.

Liam - I like it a lot, but I just don't love it. I think Irish names are fun, and I love the whole imagery they provide. I just don't see me with a Liam.

Jayden - I used to LOVE Jadon (this spelling). It's a Biblical name, and honestly, it's not supposed to be said like JAY-don, but I always thought it was. I thought Jadon was incredibly cool. I hate the Jayden spelling, though. It looks so trendy and kre8tiv.

Michael - my cousin's name. I've never liked it, and I don't know why. It's classic... I just don't like Michael, haha. I do like Micah, though.

Alexander - I like it. I used to hate it, but I like its timelessness and its various associations. I quite strongly dislike Alex, though, so I'd never use it up front. Right now I have Zane Alexander Caspian on my list, though.

Aiden - I hate the Aiden spelling (like Aidan a lot, though!). I love that it means "little fire", and when I was in middle school/high school, I named my guardian angel Aidan (hahaha!). I thought it was a perfect name for an angel, and since we know really very little about angel's genders, I figured it would work for an asexual warrior of God, haha. I would love to still love Aidan, and I think it's fabulous, but it is one example of a name I wouldn't use because of its popularity. It's just TOO popular, TOO trendy. If we could go back to the original Irish roots, I would be a massive fan. But it's just become sort of trashy here in the US.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Quote Originally Posted by lieseysmom View Post
    It's probably been done before, but I've always wanted to ask this. Besides the knee-jerk "it's too popular/common", what is your real opinion of these 10 names?

Jacob

Mason

Ethan

Noah

William

Liam

Jayden

Michael

Alexander

Aiden
    Jacob....used to love this, liked it for years and then my taste changed
    Mason....sort of boring to me
    Ethan...always loved this....handsome, love it
    Noah....really fond of this for a middle name
    William....this classic has grown on me slowly, very strong and Liam is a great variation
    Liam...like it
    Jayden....used to have a parrot named Jadon, now I can't picture for a person though
    Michael....like it, love Micah though...I like this on a girl for some reason but wouldn't use it
    Alexander....strong, protector of mankind as its meaning makes it more desirable, love Zander
    Aiden....is ok