Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is It A Good Thing To Plan In Advance?

I would really love to know your thoughts on thinking about baby names when your only a teenager, you know like planning in advance?

I'm only a teenager (16 next year) but I have already made up my mind that I want to have children in the far future is it okay for me to be planning names in advance? My parents think I'm odd for thinking about baby names and loving them at a young age, however my Nan actually likes talking about names mainly her favorite Scottish ones though. Is there any other teenager's out there already thinking up names? I have loved baby names since I was 10, 11 or 12 I can't remember exactly when. But I have already taken a keen interest in names and what they mean and their origin. Is this normal for a teenager? And I already know what my naming style is... Classic, hippie, nature names and some popular names but not many.

I would love the advice!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by chloe14; December 28th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
    River Jeffrey ~ Corey Dean ~ Judd Harlow ~ Emilio Reid ~
    Asher Lincoln ~ Lucas Ian ~ Macaulay Miles ~ Emerson Paul ~
    Shane Atticus ~ Elijah Mark ~ Indiana Jace ~ Ferris Michael ~
    Miles Russell ~ Jonathan Bastian.

Heather Michele ~ Haley Joelle ~ Vada Margaret ~ Mallory Louise ~
    Dakota May ~ Ashley June ~ Mindy Linnea ~ Summer Joy ~
    Liberty April ~ Aleka Winter ~ Michelle Elizabeth ~ Connie Quinn ~
    Carol Anne ~ Christina Wednesday.

As a mom, a former girl/teen obsessed with names, and someone who has done research professionally on teen development, I say it's very normal. I was just thinking how cool it is to have teens helping me name my second baby!

Right now, your job in life is to figure out who you want to be. This includes the kind of parent you will be, so names is an extension of that.

I used to love thinking of names and it freaked my parents out! "She's gonna get pregnant!" Um, no. You can totally yearn to be a mom at 16 and know it's not the right thing to do, yet still plan for being a mom. You can learn about parenting and child development and it won't make you pregnant

I had my first kiddo at 30, during my doctoral program and after being married a year and a half. I am now pregnant again and still in my program, but closer to graduating. I already have two master's degrees. And I was, as a child and teen, obsessed with all things baby, including names!

But your taste will change over time. The names I loved at first are no longer on my list. The name I chose for my son fits my style but was never on the list because when you have a baby, it's with another person with a naming style. But that doesn't mean it's not loads of fun to think about and plan names now!

So, yes it's normal. You're fine. Keep naming those future babies!

I'm in my last year of senior school and as a lesson I'm taking child development we are covering about babies but we haven't talked about teenagers! I was obsessed with babies when I was younger I kind of grew out of that and kind of moved onto names. I'm also obsessed with movies, I'm a major film nerd I'm also thinking about becoming an actress.

I'm a teenage name nerd too and like you I've loved names since I was around 10. I received a name book for Christmas in fifth grade because I thought it would help me name characters for stories and it was all downhill from there. (I was dead set on being an author when I was older then. I still want to write but I would rather do it on the side, not as a full-time career). My parents joke sometimes that no one completely plans out their future kids' names except Abby.
    Like you I'm interested in child development too and I'm really excited for my Human Growth and Development class this semester. My mom is not looking forward to it, however because she doesn't want me to take home a fake baby. Secretly I can't wait to take home the baby! It's the closest thing I'll have to an actual baby for quite a while. And I get to name it!!
    I don't think its bad, in fact being a name nerd has helped me through a lot. Back in eighth grade school was very hard for me and I was often upset, but thinking about my favorite names and future kids gave me a hint of optimism which got me through some rough times. I understand that there are things that come before having kids- high school, college, marriage, a job, a house, insurance, etc- so I'm not about to go and get pregnant. But I still love to plan ahead and dream about what would I name my future children.
    Call me Abby
    Competitive dancer, aspiring writer, high school who cares? It's summer, future mom,
    and, most importantly, name obsessed
    ♕Dancing Queens♕
    Lila • Violet • Iris • Maeve • Sabrina
    Athena • Aurora • Calista • Eden • Elsa
    Emmeline • Moira • Nola • Saela • Talia

♔Soccer Kings♔
    Leo • August • Nolan • Torin • Archer
    Not loving boys' names right now

I was never a popular kid in school but thinking about other things like movies, baby names, my favorite TV shows and other things help take my mind off it. I have no friends in my school I always sit on my own and daydream. In my child development class I'm taking at the moment were learning about a child's development in pre-school and other things like that. I would love to take home a fake baby and name it! That would be so cool and I would take such good care of it. I don't know if they do that in my school though.