Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Irish Spellings

Irish Spellings

I come from Ireland and have an Irish name (Siobhan). I would love to include that heritage in my children's names but I have been wondering after reading an interesting thread on "youneek" spellings.

If "youneek" names have discrimination from employers as I have read on a few threads, will Irish spellings be understood as traditional spellings or will they be misunderstood or discriminated against?

Names such as

Eilhoise (Family name said "Ay-leesh") F
    Caoimhe (Keeva) F
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) F
    Tadg (Teeg) M

I guess as a name-nerd I’m a bit biased but I think that traditional Irish names are sort of the opposite of treendee and youneek names. In reality though I think that if you have an Irish last name most people will assume it’s Irish but if your last name is something other than Irish (say Italian or Croatian) I think there is a greater chance for people to assume a youneek spelling.
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

I agree that Irish spellings are desirable, especially with an Irish or Celtic last name.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Caroline Grace, Luke Donovan

I definitely think Irish spellings are understood to be traditional and not generally mistaken for "youneek". Have you experienced discrimination you felt was due to your name?

I think it is good

Quote Originally Posted by srmarynapalm View Post
    I come from Ireland and have an Irish name (Siobhan). I would love to include that heritage in my children's names but I have been wondering after reading an interesting thread on "youneek" spellings.

If "youneek" names have discrimination from employers as I have read on a few threads, will Irish spellings be understood as traditional spellings or will they be misunderstood or discriminated against?

Names such as

Eilhoise (Family name said "Ay-leesh") F
    Caoimhe (Keeva) F
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) F
    Tadg (Teeg) M
    to use traditional names and I love Celtic names. I do struggle with names like these because not only do I not know how to pronounce them, but I tend to forget once I know.

I love the Welsh Eluned but I cannot seem to say it right.

I don't know if people discriminate but I know people tend to avoid saying words they have no idea how to say...