48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sylvia

39 81.25%
  • Silvia

9 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sylvia vs Silvia

Hi there, berries!

I've always liked the name Sylvia - it's always seemed graceful and balletic to me, maybe because of Les Sylphides? - and recently I've being seeing a bit of buzz on here about it becoming the next Sophia.
    Anyway, today I read the name in a book and it suddenly looked slightly awkward - the 'y' just didn't have the same grace to it as it had before. It could just be a bit of name fatigue on my part, but it got me thinking about alternative spellings.

Shakespeare spelled it Silvia, which is slightly more logical, and I think it's sweet that this spelling looks so much like the word silver, plus, if Sylvia does become mega-popular something slightly different is nice.

I still can't choose a favourite - what do you think? And, if you have the time, what made you choose one over the other?

Disclaimer: I'm not pregnant, just curious!
    I'm Claire, an Australian teenberry. I love names and kids, but I'm not going to become a mum for at least ten years. Until then, I'm just playing with possibilities.

For girls, I love:
    Matilda - Iulia - Rosa - Annalise - Linnea - Eva

For boys, I love: Anders - Reuben - James - Jude - Caspar - Thomas

Guilty pleasures are: Blaise - Orion - Caspian --- Madelief - Isolde - Hero

West Michigan
    In an English speaking country, I'd go with Sylvia since it's the spelling most people are familiar with. Silvia would work in Europe, I think. Silvia may be 'slightly different' but if Sylvia was mega popular, it would just cause headaches (sort of like Sophia and Sofia).
    Em (stillborn 7/09) | Bo (08/09)
    Nats (02/12) | Tay (11/14)

I prefer Silvia, the original Latin spelling. I think it looks better, though Sylvia isn't that bad.

While I'd usually prefer to spell a name without Y, I like Sylvia with it better. It just looks more pretty to me.
    polina ∙ 19 ∙ art history major ∙ web developer
    french/russian/swedish ∙ living in st. petersburg, russia

in the silence of your bones and eyes
    forgotten magic sits and waits for fire

Boston, MA
    Not to ruin Silvia for you too, but someone once commented that they always see 'saliva' when they first glimpse Silvia. I already preferred the look of Sylvia, but that sealed the deal for me.