46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sylvia

38 82.61%
  • Silvia

8 17.39%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sylvia vs Silvia

Hi there, berries!

I've always liked the name Sylvia - it's always seemed graceful and balletic to me, maybe because of Les Sylphides? - and recently I've being seeing a bit of buzz on here about it becoming the next Sophia.
    Anyway, today I read the name in a book and it suddenly looked slightly awkward - the 'y' just didn't have the same grace to it as it had before. It could just be a bit of name fatigue on my part, but it got me thinking about alternative spellings.

Shakespeare spelled it Silvia, which is slightly more logical, and I think it's sweet that this spelling looks so much like the word silver, plus, if Sylvia does become mega-popular something slightly different is nice.

I still can't choose a favourite - what do you think? And, if you have the time, what made you choose one over the other?

Disclaimer: I'm not pregnant, just curious!
    I'm Claire, an Australian teenberry. I love names and kids, but I'm not going to become a mum for at least ten years. Until then, I'm just playing with possibilities.

For girls, I love:
    Matilda - Iulia - Rosa - Annalise - Linnea - Eva

For boys, I love: Anders - Reuben - James - Jude - Caspar - Thomas

Guilty pleasures are: Blaise - Orion - Caspian --- Madelief - Isolde - Hero

In an English speaking country, I'd go with Sylvia since it's the spelling most people are familiar with. Silvia would work in Europe, I think. Silvia may be 'slightly different' but if Sylvia was mega popular, it would just cause headaches (sort of like Sophia and Sofia).
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I prefer Silvia, the original Latin spelling. I think it looks better, though Sylvia isn't that bad.

While I'd usually prefer to spell a name without Y, I like Sylvia with it better. It just looks more pretty to me.
    polina, nineteen
    french/russian/swedish living in st. petersburg, russia
    art history major, web developer

clementine + ottoline + romilly + sybella + matilda
    wilhelmina + tallulah + marlowe + emiliana + saskia

felix + sebastian + milo + oscar + fabian
    cosmo + archer + rufus + dashiell + caius

{ mommy to jagger the cat }

Not to ruin Silvia for you too, but someone once commented that they always see 'saliva' when they first glimpse Silvia. I already preferred the look of Sylvia, but that sealed the deal for me.