Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by navyjane View Post
    I was kind of thankful for my name it's something you hear everyday, but not as a name. I was the only Navy in my class all throughout my schooling and I was rather happy about that. Nothing irritated some girls more than being Ashley M. or Jessica B. Maybe they choose the less popular route to avoid things like that, they want their child to be "unique" it's kind of the same way with alternate spellings. I think Lauren is just fine, but why Lawryn? Are we trying that hard? Than again at the end of the day to each their own.
    Ashlea, Ashleigh, Ashlee... all sound exactly the same as Ashley. I've seen so many misspellings of popular names, it makes me want to cry. Michael sounds just like Mykle, only poor Mykle will constantly have to correct everyone. That's another problem with the popularity rankings. I looked at one of the social security lists for recent years (2010-2012ish), and tallied up all the numbers for -ayden names for boys, only looking at the top 1000 list. I took that number, and divided it into half the total number of births in the US. (Obviously almost exactly half of babies would be male). Something like 8% of boys were given an -ayden name that year. I'm sure if I looked beyond the top 1000, it might be even higher. My ex called them "pretentious misspellings." He even said my name was one of those, LOL. Yep, I agree. I always had to correct people, even if I always had to answer to Firstname L. If you look at a name like Nevaeh, and all the misspellings of heaven spelled backwards, Nevaeh combined with its many misspellings is far more common than most people realize. It would probably rank closer to #30, not #39.

That being said, with the exception of -ayden, most of these names are nowhere near as popular as some people think they are. The internet (especially nameberry) has completely changed the world of baby naming. My parents just discussed some names they'd heard, decided on a name they liked, and that was it. My husband and I stressed and stressed for months!