Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    If I see a name too often, it just loses its spark for me. If I truly love a name, I will use it regardless, however I think my own name has influenced me to subconciously seek names that are out of the ordinary. My name is Sarah. I was one of dozens of Sarahs/Saras in my school growing up. One of them even had the same last name as me. I would never fault someone for chosing a popular name.
    Mommy of Juniper Teagan & Pyrus Nikolai

Catkin Ferelith, Celandine Ceridwen, Nettle Chiyo, Pennyroyal Matilda, Dandelion Jane
    Fox Atticus, Huckleberry Ivan, Senna Lazarus, Bramble Gideon, Thistle Dorian

Crushes: Myfanwy, Merewen, Anoushka, Heliotrope, Chihiro
    Angus, Jules, Bear, Larkspur, Blue, Robin

http://bloominggardenofnames.blogspot.com/

Another cool thing I learned through researching on the social security website...

In 2012, one of my favorite girl names, Vera, was in the 500 spot with 608 girls receiving the name. #504 was Aspen, at 601 girls. Really. A difference of 7 babies. #500 for boys, Brenden, went to 528 boys. Kobe, at #506, went to 518 boys. A difference of 10 babies. Around #600, the names are given to around 400 babies. Essentially, the further down the list you go, a difference 4 dozen people nationwide naming their kids something one year versus the next, can make a name sail up or down the charts as much as 50 places. The end of the top 1000, the boys names were all just shy of 200 babies, and the girl names were in the 250 babies range. 198 people believed Apollo (#993) to be a fitting name for their son in 2012. If, in 2013, 228 people decided Apollo is a fitting name for their son, it will have shot up almost 100 places, to around the 900 mark. Yes, with a difference of only 30 babies.

I could geek out on the social security baby names website for hours.......

I grew up with a name that was/is very unfamiliar to a lot of Americans. (I'm originally from Germany, so this wasn't taken into consideration.) My name is Giulia. To be honest, my mom misspelt it on my birth certificate as Guilia, but I grew up spelling it the correct way. I absolutely loved having a unique name. Yes, the majority of people can't pronounce it, absolutely nobody can spell it, and paired with my German surname it can be a complete disaster. I've even had my name butchered as "Gorilla" in front of an entire classroom of kids. But this has only made my love for unique names even stronger.

I feel like the top 10/50/100 names are everywhere. Although only a marginal percentage of children are given the names, they are also the names used in entertainment and media we see/hear/read on a daily basis. Although they might not be the final name chose for a child, they are discussed as possibilities by a lot of parents. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal choice, preference and love for the name. I would never give my child a name I felt I heard too much of. At the same time, I do love names in the top 20/50/100 (Sebastian, James, Charles, etc.) Above all else, a parent has to love what ever name they chose for a child. It really doesn't matter how popular a name is as long as the parent is choosing it because they love it.

My name was in the top five the year I was born, yet there were no other girls with my name in my grade in elementary school and only one in my high school. We live in a big world and today I still only occasionally run into anyone with my name. It all comes down to demographics.

Also, I’d like to put it out there that popular names are popular for a reason. They embody all the positive traits that parents want to imbue in their kids. Why wouldn’t a parent want to name their daughter Sophia? It means wisdom and is pretty without being fluffy.

Ultimately everyone on this website will have a different take on this subject. All I know is that I won’t let statistics keep me from using a name that is truly phenomenal.
    TTC 2015

Alice, Blair, Claire, Elizabeth, Isobel, Madeline

Elliott, Everett, Ezra, James, Malachi, Nathaniel

I don't even *like* any of the Top Ten Australian names for boys. It has nothing to do with their popularity. I wouldn't use those names if they were exquisitely rare, either.

On the girls' side my taste is a bit more mainstream. I would use a very popular name IF it ticked all my other boxes: sounding good with the surname, husband and I BOTH love it.

Aidan survived those cuts. It's on our list. Aidan's not actually even all that popular, but when I mention it everyone is like "but it's soooo popular [recommends name ranked higher to use instead]" A lot of it is perception more than actual numbers.