Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    @renrose- You would be surprised. I don't think it is that hard to pronounce. My parents didn't think it would be that hard. My friends don't think it is that hard (in fact, they correct teachers more than I do). And the truth is, when I do people how to pronounce it, the really like my name and tell me how pretty it is. So, I guess it isn't all that bad. But it is rather annoying because both of my brothers have very recognizable, pronounceable names. I got stuck with the, "I'm sorry, how do you say this?" "I have no idea how to pronounce this, El-Lanni?" My teachers even spell my name wrong. Gosh people, it isn't that hard, you've had me for half the year now! Every time I see my name mentioned on the forum, I warn people about this. It is a beautiful name, but it has its drawbacks.
    I actually know a few girls with my name, and they all say the same thing. So it isn't just my bad experience.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Thalia | Jane | Persephone | Ariadne | Lilia | Nicoletta | Nina | Natalia |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Paul | Jude | Basil | Tobias | Nico | Abram | Samuel | James |
    Pondering:
    | Artemis | Cassandra | Delia | Helena | Lena | Margo | Thaddeus |

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Briseis | Mercy | Lachlan | Emerson | Callum | Owen |

Have a fabulous day!

Thank you for this info! I have nixed several names I love because of their popularity, but in reality, I haven't met very many babies with top 10 names. I grew up with a top 50 name and new several people with the same name, but it didn't bothered me. I'm not gonna let popularity bother me anymore.
    Not expecting, just love collecting names!

My name is Erin. I am 22 years old and I have loved baby names since I was 10.

Girl names: Juliet Grace, Madeleine Hope, Linnea Ruby, Stella Rose, Emilia Colette, Clara ?, Fiona Violet, Bridget Amelia, Lydia Charlotte Eden Elizabeth, Eliza ?, Evelyn ?

Boy names: Jonathan Rhys, Wesley Drew, Evan Robert, Joel ?, Quinn ?, Dawson Cole, Griffin Miles, Judah Nathaniel, Greyson Jeremiah, Roman Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by hardertobreathe View Post
    @renrose- You would be surprised. I don't think it is that hard to pronounce. My parents didn't think it would be that hard. My friends don't think it is that hard (in fact, they correct teachers more than I do). And the truth is, when I do people how to pronounce it, the really like my name and tell me how pretty it is. So, I guess it isn't all that bad. But it is rather annoying because both of my brothers have very recognizable, pronounceable names. I got stuck with the, "I'm sorry, how do you say this?" "I have no idea how to pronounce this, El-Lanni?" My teachers even spell my name wrong. Gosh people, it isn't that hard, you've had me for half the year now! Every time I see my name mentioned on the forum, I warn people about this. It is a beautiful name, but it has its drawbacks.
    I actually know a few girls with my name, and they all say the same thing. So it isn't just my bad experience.
    Some people just don't care to remember in fact I had a teacher once try to spell my name Navi and I looked at her and went "Do you not know the color Navy or the military branch?" I wouldn't worry about teachers too much they have so many kids coming in and out of their classroom it's ridiculous. I love your name it's unique without being too out there like some of the names I've seen. Eleni is very pretty.
    Madigan - Effie - Tamsin - Tully - Jaxie
    Thorin - Declan - Adler - Thayer - Hudson

@navyjane, thanks for the love. I know, teachers just don't care sometimes. Eleni is a great choice, it is very pretty, but it has its drawbacks with pronunciations.
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    | Zoe | Selene | Thalia | Jane | Persephone | Ariadne | Lilia | Nicoletta | Nina | Natalia |

| Dimitri | Augustus | Paul | Jude | Basil | Tobias | Nico | Abram | Samuel | James |
    Pondering:
    | Artemis | Cassandra | Delia | Helena | Lena | Margo | Thaddeus |

GP:
    | Thisbe | Cassiopeia | Briseis | Mercy | Lachlan | Emerson | Callum | Owen |

Have a fabulous day!

Interesting, isn't it? My name was just outside of the top 100 when I was born, and growing up I'd be more likely to hear comments about how uncommon it was -- it was never on those souvenir license plates or anything, you know? Now, 20-some years later, if you bring up a name that's ranked around number 100, people will act like it's Linda in 1950. As you pointed out, the reality is quite different.

I think part of it is just the availability of information. Back when my parents were having kids in the late 70s - mid 80s, they picked two top 50 names and two other top 150 names. They were going off of "do I know any kids with this name already? If so, how many?" My mom was a teacher, so that helped. These days, we're able to track exactly how many kids are given a name, what states it's most popular in, etc. Sometimes all of that information can cloud our perception of how popular a name is. Maybe, in a way, going by the old-school question of "am I hearing this name a lot?" was better.

There are also clusters of names. In the mid-90s, there were two girls named Taryn in the grade below me, in their grade of 40 kids. Even picking a low-ranked name doesn't mean that a child will be the only one who has it. Then, you grow up, most likely work with people of all different ages, and the name popularity thing doesn't matter as much because different names are more popular across different age groups.
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick