Names Searched Right Now:
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Personally, I'm with the people who said that once they hear a name so much it gets old and boring. Most popular names for me are dreary and not full of life for me. But names like Emrys, Casworan, Artemis, and Fable? They are bursting with color and feel fresh. To me, giving my child an uncommon name feels as if I'm giving them a name that they can make their own. Growing up I was never the only girl with my name, and there was one particularly nasty girl with the same name that I was always in the same class as. To this day my name does not feel like my own. For goodness sake, I started a new job today and apparently I'm the third girl with my name! Maybe the popular names are not as popular as they used to be in the past, and maybe a kid with a popular name won't ever be in the same class with a kid with the same name, but I'm not taking that chance.

Also, literally the purpose of names is to differientate from one person to another. To give an identity to someone. What's the point if we all had the similar names?

And I don't want it to sound like I'm ranking on people who choose popular names. I understand why people do it. It's safe and you know your kid will do well with the name. And if you love it, then use it! That's really one of the most important factors when it comes to naming.

Quote Originally Posted by julery View Post
    My name's also long; it's only 3 syllables but it just sounds long to say, and I find people don't address me by name very often, so much so that when they do it feels weird and overly personal.
    I can completely relate to this.
    • teenberry • Australia •

Iris Elettra - Delfina Inez - Freja Constantina - Emmanuelle Demeter
    Anton Rafael - Uriah Solomon - Ezekiel Ambrose (Zeke)

"And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite" - Stephen Chbosky

Because it sucks to have four other people in your class named, let's say, Will. First of all, the teacher always thinks you're the other Will, or that Will is you. Last year, there were three Benjamins in my class: Ben K, Ben Sh., and Ben St, and to make matters worse, they kind of looked like each other. Also, names are your identifying factor, so it's nice to have a name that's different from everyone else's. Trust me, it makes you feel a lot more unique.
    moved to strider

No offense to those who don't have unique names, that's cool too.
    moved to strider

This is a good thread and it helps take the guilts off all the nameberries whose GP is a top ten name because we nameberries are of course looking for more extraordinary names and top ten names just won't cut it.

I guess I can love Ava now without feeling guilty.

rollo

PS It wasn't my beautiful Christian first name (Caroline) that cruelled it for me it was the nn of Carol that completely turned me away. I say lets just give a child their full name and forget the cutesy little nn's.
    Last edited by rollo; February 17th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Psalm 23