Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tacky or cute?

Tacky or cute?

I've always been a huge lover of vintage/old fashioned names and I love the sound of Hattie but I do have one question. I'm a big, big hockey fan and my boyfriend plays hockey; "hatty" is a slang term for a hat trick, would it be tacky or kind of cute to use Hattie?

Ignorant of hockey,

like it as a nickname.

Are there any other full names for Hattie besides Harriet and Henriette/Henrietta? I'm not a fan of the sound of them but I do agree that it would be a nice nickname!

Harriet's one of my favorites, but if you're not into it, maybe Hadley would work, though Haddie makes more sense as a NN. Or Heather, but that could feel dated. Maybe Harmony or Hannah, especially with middle names that start with T.

I don't think it's tacky, but if you're worried about reactions maybe you could not bring up the hockey thing. You can confirm the connection if people ask, but don't offer it yourself. Or, frame it how you did here: it fits with your old-fashioned style, you loved the name, and the connection to something you and your BF love was a bonus - a way to tie you all together.
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick

I've always gotten a "trendy" feel from Hadley which never sits well with me, not sure why! The idea of using a T middle name is really smart, but I've always seen myself using a family name for a middle name (like my mother's name or when I'm married my mother-in-law's name or something of that sort). That's been an issue for me too; Hattie does seem too much like a nickname but I can't find anything that fits my style that would be used for a full name!