Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Fondness for Foster

I recently reread the Gone-Away Lake books by brilliant children's writer, Elizabeth Enright, and fell in love with Portia's little brother, Foster.

In the book, he is my favorite sort of little boy: loves to play outside, is solid and cheery, and has a lively, curious personality.

I keep thinking that the foster child connection should bother me or the old comedian, was it Foster Brooks? whose shtick I seem to recall was pretending to be drunk. But these things just don't bother me.

Instead I think of Enright's Foster and Foster's Freeze ice cream cones, a taste of summer. I think of fostering a good idea (or person). I find F names refreshing and I like the combo of the f, the s, the t, and the r.

What do you think? How do you envision a Foster?

PS Elizabeth Enright's books are the BEST! They also contain many great names, including Julius, Minnie, Tarquin, Pindar, Gulliver, Miranda, Mona, Rush, Oliver, Jasper, Titus, Martin, Nora, Mab, Yancy, Garnet, Linden, Jay, and Belinda!

Aw, when I saw the title of your thread this is the Foster I immediately thought of! The name's not my cup of tea exactly, but I like the character, and Foster would fit right into today's surname trend while still being unusual.

And I do like Elizabeth Enright. Aren't the siblings' frilly names in Gone-Away Lake the best? Minnehaha Augusta, Pindar Peregrine, Persephone, Polyhymnia, and Alexander Manfred Lionel (nicknamed Min, Pin, Persy, Polly and Lex)? Those should be enough by themselves to convince name nerds to read the book!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

How heavenly

Quote Originally Posted by auroradawn View Post
    Aw, when I saw the title of your thread this is the Foster I immediately thought of! The name's not my cup of tea exactly, but I like the character, and Foster would fit right into today's surname trend while still being unusual.

And I do like Elizabeth Enright. Aren't the siblings' frilly names in Gone-Away Lake the best? Minnehaha Augusta, Pindar Peregrine, Persephone, Polyhymnia, and Alexander Manfred Lionel (nicknamed Min, Pin, Persy, Polly and Lex)? Those should be enough by themselves to convince name nerds to read the book!
    to find such an Enright fan! And yes, those names are convincers enough!

Well, needless to say I love Foster. We have been TTC for over 3 years now with suspected PCOS and Foster has been picked out as our boy name since the beginning. Hopefully I will get to really use it.

I love it because it's handsome but soft and wise. I envision a sweet little boy who is very much all boy but sweet at the same time. It's recognizable but not weird. I can't put it into words but I am so in love with the name Foster. It's the one name I would be devastated to never use. It makes my heart flutter and makes me feel giddy inside. One day I will hopefully have my Foster.
    - Favorites -
    Etta . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Willow Evelyn & Foster Grey

- Rainbow Baby Due June 2, 2015 -

I will

Quote Originally Posted by shilo View Post
    Well, needless to say I love Foster. We have been TTC for over 3 years now with suspected PCOS and Foster has been picked out as our boy name since the beginning. Hopefully I will get to really use it.

I love it because it's handsome but soft and wise. I envision a sweet little boy who is very much all boy but sweet at the same time. It's recognizable but not weird. I can't put it into words but I am so in love with the name Foster. It's the one name I would be devastated to never use. It makes my heart flutter and makes me feel giddy inside. One day I will hopefully have my Foster.
    be praying that you get your Foster. It is rare to find such a boyish and gentle name that works equally well on a grown or even old man.

Best wishes,
    Leslie