Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should it be a Concern?

DH's family is very religious and we both like the name Delilah but I'm worried his family will just rip it apart because of the connection to it in the Bible. Should that really be a concern for us and keep it off our list? Or do you think it would be okay to add it?

I wouldn't add it, but it wigs me out, personally, to think of naming a daughter that. I also would be concerned about family drama. I guess it depends how much you love it?

There are other names with similar sounds that don't have the baggage.

We like the softness in sound of the name, though we do have other names on our list that we really like! We don't want to have to give that baggage it's just unfortunate that it comes with it

It's odd that people have such negative reactions to Biblical names. The Puritans (who executed women as witches for missing church and similar 'sins') freely used names like Delilah and Salome--it was enough that they were mentioned in the Bible--they didn't have to be perfect humans.

I don't understand at all how Delilah can be regarded so negatively now, when, as @rkrd pointed out, the Puritans used Delilah and even Jezebel quite freely. I actually have Delilah on my list, and I know of a little Delilah (who's parents are in fact church goers), and I don't know of her having any problems. My mum's family was rather religious, and they don't seem to have an issue either, in fact, I'm not even fully up to date on what the problem with Delilah is. I've heard of Samson and Delilah, and I know the basics of the story, but that's all. All that comes to mind for me is 'hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City?'
    "While some of the brightest of our celestial bodies are actually extinct now, their energy long since cooled; miraculously, because they float in the heavens so far away from us now, their beautiful light will continue to shine on us forever, and the glow will be so bright, it'll warm your heart, it'll make your eyes glisten, and it'll make you think to yourselves; what a concept"