Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aphra

Aphra

What do you guys think of this name? I'm liking it because it reminds me both of Greek myth (Aphrodite, obviously, which is mostly a good thing but could be a negative association for some) and it has Hebrew origins (means dust).

I've never heard of its only only prominent carrier, Aphra Behn, but she seems completely kickass as I do a little research.

Its variant Afra, meaning "from Africa", could be a deterrent for me, as I have no African heritage and I do prefer my names to have personal significance in their meaning and background. Still, this isn't too big a deal in my mind.

I think it has a really nice sound. What are your thoughts, especially when combined with the names listed in my signature?
    eve, miriam, dahlia, esme
    raphael, solomon, jonah, lev

Bump, would love some opinions
    eve, miriam, dahlia, esme
    raphael, solomon, jonah, lev

I love Aphra and I don't know why it doesn't get much love. Could it be the meaning of "dust"? (I'm allergic )Or is there a more underlying racial issue because people may hear the words Africa and afro in it? It's not mentioned very often anywhere - even here on Nameberry which surprises me. It has a lots of of things in common with the more popular choices of Ava, Eva, Nora, Emma, Mila and the like. It's two syllables, ends in "a", easy to spell and pronounce. It gets bonus marks for its exotic flair which these names are beginning to loose as well as its literary pedigree. I don't get it.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think the two concerns you have with the name are very legitimate. For me, also not being African American, the African reference would be a deterrent for me and place the name in a "love but can't use" category.

I'd look for a longer name that could have Aphra as a nickname, though aside from Aphrodite I can think of any and I'd want to love the full name at least almost as much as the nn. I wouldn't be able to sell myself on Aphrodite.

That said it is a lovely name and your lil' one is going to make it all her own anyway.

I love Aphra and the 'dust' meaning. It was one of my favourites from the first names book I had when I was little.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.