Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile Ianthe vs Xanthe

What are your opinions of Ianthe and Xanthe? What kind of vibe do you get from them? And which do you prefer?

*I would say "ee-an-thee".

If anyone knows a more detailed history/description of either name, I would LOVE to know!
    Ophelia, twenty-seven.
    Expecting a little princess in April!

I don't know much about Ianthe other than what's already on nameberry. I've just recently discovered and started loving it. It feels unique and mystical to me but it doesn't seem like something you'd never hear. I guess it kinda sounds familiar.

I don't particularly care for Xanthe though. I don't like how it's spelled with how it sounds. It almost sounds like it could be some warrior princess name or something...
    "Those who don't read the newspaper are uninformed, those who do read the newspaper are misinformed"- Mark Twain

I personally don't love Xanthe (although to the above poster: why are warrior princess names negative?!) because I've known a couple of not-very-nice girls with the name, and it also looks a bit like Xanax.

But I much but I prefer it to Ianthe, which I say EYE-AN-thee, like Dianthe without the first letter rather than Ian with an extra syllable.
    ✿ Jemima Rosemary - Fenella Beatrix Margaret - Eilidh Briar Lettice - Sibylla Agnes ''Billie''✿
    ✿ Alec Tadhg - Emmett Huw - Rufus Caspian - Harrison Rhett ✿

Susie, Magdalena, Viola, Imogen, Octavia, Ailbhe, Jessa, Raphaela, Medora, Amelia, Annabella, Ophelia, Lana.
    Oscar, Dylan, Breccan, Ingram, Wilbur, Vincent, Wolfie, Keaton, Wilfred

Traveller at heart and dreaming of future babes, but mostly I'm just an expat teenage girl from England...http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/

I love the sound of Ianthe, but I prefer the looks of Xanthe, if that makes sense.
    ♂ Alexander, Caleb, Dashiell, Emmett, Ezra, James, Kai, Lysander, Xavier, William ♂
    ♀ Adelaide, Aurora, Beatrice, Charlotte, Clara, Emmeline, Felicity, Hazel, Imogen, Phoebe ♀

I think more people would be able to pronounce Xanthe, Ianthe people will pronounce lots of different ways. So if that bothers you, you should go with Xanthe. I do prefer the sound of Ianthe (I pronounce it the same as you). Both of them are beautiful!
    Just another teenberry and writer, a lover of names
    Current Favorites:
    Zoe, Veronica, Selene, Thalia, Magdalena, Adeline, Alice, Cleo, Isadora/Isidora, & Phoebe

Dimitri, Augustus, Jude, Gregory, Tobias, Leo, Samuel, James, Jason, & Orion

Crushing On: Nicoletta, Louisa, Ariadne, Eleanor, Adelaide & Benjamin, Nico, Gideon

Have a fabulous day!