Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Combining First and Middle name to come up with nickname...

My wife and I like the idea of having family names in our babies name, she is going to be here now any day and we are still stuck on names. We really like the idea of calling her Cary Alan. Cary is a family name on her side and Alan was my grandfathers name. She is due on his birthday and he played a huge role in my life and my cousins life, ours would be his first great grand baby, so we thought it would be a sweet way of honoring him.

We both like the idea of calling her Callie as her nickname, just to give her something unique outside of our family name guidelines. My wife is worried that it is weird to do that or that it makes Cary Alan meaningless. We are trying to keep the name a surprise for family/friends until she arrives. So it makes getting outside input tough.

So what are your thoughts? Is it weird to call Cary Alan "Callie"? Thanks!

I don't think it's weird. I'm one that thinks nn can be pretty much anything and don't have to be closely associated with the given names. I know someone with the birth name Marianne but goes by Annalie so there really isn't much of a connection there.

I think a feminine nickname like Callie helps make her name a little less unisex (I know Carrie is usually a girls' name but Cary/Carey seem unisex to masculine to me). Explaining that her given names are family names and that Callie is *her* name makes a lot of sense to me.
    Mom to Conrad James and baby due May 2014

Quote Originally Posted by iheartm View Post
    I don't think it's weird. I'm one that thinks nn can be pretty much anything and don't have to be closely associated with the given names. I know someone with the birth name Marianne but goes by Annalie so there really isn't much of a connection there.
    I agree completely.

Dont think its weird and actually like that idea! A lot! Just a thought though as a girl named "Ryan" it's been a pain in the butt my whole life being mistaken for a boy. I know a couple of male "Cary's" and since the middle name is Alan you may want to use a more feminine spelling for Cary - just a thought!