Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I usually find that the parents who give their daughters VERY masculine names are pretentious twats. ((No offense meant to anyone on here who may have done this, I'm speaking only of those people that I know personally))

When I was in college, one of my philosophy TAs was pregnant during our first semester. We got a 2 hour long tirade about how she was naming her little girl William because of the gender bias of our fear mongering society..blah blah. She was ridiculous. And did, actually, name her daughter William Landry.

I also know a female Freddie (not a nickname), a female Eli and a female James.

Though I will admit, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for James on females. It's got a very feminine appeal to me and I can picture a female James in my head more readily than I can picture a male James.

I can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by tarynamber View Post
    I usually find that the parents who give their daughters VERY masculine names are pretentious twats. ((No offense meant to anyone on here who may have done this, I'm speaking only of those people that I know personally))

When I was in college, one of my philosophy TAs was pregnant during our first semester. We got a 2 hour long tirade about how she was naming her little girl William because of the gender bias of our fear mongering society..blah blah. She was ridiculous. And did, actually, name her daughter William Landry.

I also know a female Freddie (not a nickname), a female Eli and a female James.

Though I will admit, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for James on females. It's got a very feminine appeal to me and I can picture a female James in my head more readily than I can picture a male James.
    a girl being nicknamed James, like if her name was Jamesina or Jemima or Jemma or Jamie. I can imagine all sorts of cute nicknames. That does seem different than putting it on the birth certificate though.

I taught a cute kid named Alexandra. She went by Max; it was sweet on her. But I'm glad she wasn't officially named Maxwell Ludwig in the first place.

It really annoys me as well. There are so many amazing girls names (I like a lot more girls names than boys names) and I don't see why people are using boys names. I don't mind if it's just nicknames that happen to be the same as boys nns, like Theo (for Theodora) or Rory (for Aurora), but for full names...no.
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    Pandora Valencia FaeEvanthe Lyra Annabeth
    Little Misses
    Caspian Sherlock WalterPhoenix Arthur Blaise
    Mister Men

Crushing on... ✦ AmadeaGeorgianaViolaPtolemyArchieHamish
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •

I honestly wonder why this subject is brought up so often. We all know that when this subject is brought up things usually get heated and often times there is rudeness.
    Maebry Eloise o Emilia Sunday o Annabel Birdie
    Piers Lachlan o Roan August o Gray Everett
    -------- o -------- ~ o ~ -------- o --------

heart my son

Quote Originally Posted by lovemysweeties View Post
    I honestly wonder why this subject is brought up so often. We all know that when this subject is brought up things usually get heated and often times there is rudeness.
    My thoughts exactly. My first thought? I better just stay out of this one.

My ONLY thing to add... I usually see it the other way around from people wanting to give their daughter a 'masculine' name. Usually (of course, not always), the names that go to girls already have a somewhat feminine quality. Ending in -ey or -ah, etc. I think it's more likely that the name makes the parents think feminine. (The already mentioned Ashley, Avery, Rory, etc...)

Agatha Louise - 'Aggie'
    Proud Step-Mom To
    Maddox Owen | Ryker Matthew
    Expecting First Biological Child - Little Girl - June 2014

Abram | Abel | Breccan | Brooks | Foster | Killian | Macsen | Milo | Silas
    Aurelia | Ever | Eloise | Madigan | Maeva | Noa | Romilly | Rowan | Wren