Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Jocelyn on a boy?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll

23 15.44%
  • Dislike

100 67.11%
  • If you hate it on a boy, would the spelling Jocelin or Joscelin make you feel better? Yes?

17 11.41%
  • Or no?

71 47.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

Jocelyn on a boy?

I've kinda been crushing on Jocelyn for a boy ever since reading Elizabeth Goudge's novel, A City of Bells, set in a post-WW1 English cathedral town and featuring a male protagonist named Jocelyn. Like Aubrey, Hilary and others, Jocelyn was once a male name. It was used for boys in medieval times and has seen some more recent use in England, I think, and it's apparently still used for boys in Canada, where Jocelyn is considered more masculine and Jocelyne feminine.
    However, I just don't think it would work here in the US with Jocelyn as high as it is for girls, even though I'm toying with different spellings. I could be wrong, though, so I'm posting a poll to help me decide whether this name will have to remain a guilty pleasure for me! Feel free to post your thoughts.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet