Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Jocelyn on a boy?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll

23 15.44%
  • Dislike

100 67.11%
  • If you hate it on a boy, would the spelling Jocelin or Joscelin make you feel better? Yes?

17 11.41%
  • Or no?

71 47.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    Quote Originally Posted by saracita00 View Post
    I am an unapologetic tracker of trends and enjoy finding names that flirt with whatever is hot, while pushing the envelope. Since Jocelyn is, currently, solidly a girl name, and there is no trend on the boy's side that makes it fit in, I see zero thrill in using it. If you WANT to make a statement about historical use, fine. If you WANT to make a statement about misogyny, fine. If you WANT to use whatever you love regardless of current fashion, fine. But at this particular moment in time, it only comes across as a girl name on a boy, which is just as trite and boring as a boy name on a girl. It's passe because it's way too obvious to be interesting.

I find it really fascinating when people have criticism for parents choosing Joseph over Joscelin, but yet, would anybody criticize a parent for not dressing the boy in a floor-length dress with a corset until age 2, 4, 8 like in the old days? Seriously? It's just not what's done anymore. There's nothing wrong with having an awareness of what's socially acceptable and what's not and chilling along with it.
    Sigh...yeah...this is basically the feeling I had, though I didn't articulate it this distinctly, when I started this thread. If I lived in France, or in certain parts of Canada, or maybe even in England, I could name a son Jocelyn and pull it off; but probably not here, unless I decided I loved it enough to take the consequences. I do love it, but it's probably going to stay on the guilty-pleasure list after all.

Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll, and/or took the time to comment! This was a fun thread.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I love Joss as a nn on a boy. I think the right kind of boy could pull off Jocelyn but it could potentially cause trouble depending on their individual personality and confidence!

I haven't! I need to...I loved Little White Horse, though nothing compares to City of Bells.

Quote Originally Posted by brigid16 View Post
    I haven't! I need to...I loved Little White Horse, though nothing compares to City of Bells.
    Oh, yes, you definitely should read The Blue Hills. It's actually more like The Little White Horse than like A City of Bells; it has the feeling of her children's books. The Little White Horse was the first Elizabeth Goudge I read, and I love it too. I had loved it for years before I discovered that my sort-of-adopted grandmother loved Elizabeth Goudge, too! Before she died, she sent me the copies she owned. My other favorites are the Eliot series (of which, interestingly, I read the second one first), and The Scent of Water. Oh, and The Dean's Watch. And I would require any couple having marital problems to read Green Dolphin Street. That love story is incredible.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet