Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Silke?

Silke?

Recently came across the name Silke ( prn silk-uh). What are your thoughts? I think "Silke Marija" (prn maria... Moms name) sounds nice. We are of Scandinavian/Slovenian heritage, so the names we like tend to lean towards those roots.

Loved it ever since I read Ben Elton's Two Brothers. You might get a few pronunciation issues but I say go for it.

Ohhh I have never read that book! That's kind of neat!! Yeah I know there may be some pronunciation issues... Not yet too sure how big of an issue I feel that is.

It's a pretty common name here in Belgium, not for the current generation, but when I was young there were plenty of Silke's around. Easy to pronounce in Dutch, but if you live in an English-speaking country I might worry that they'll pronounce the e- end as 'ee' instead of 'uh'.

Quote Originally Posted by little_redhead View Post
    Easy to pronounce in Dutch, but if you live in an English-speaking country I might worry that they'll pronounce the e- end as 'ee' instead of 'uh'.
    I think it depends if you've seen it before. I'm English and I know how to say Silke. I can't even remember why I know how to say it anymore, lol.

I quite like it, though there are other names of Scandinavian origin I prefer more.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!