Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Silke?

Silke?

Recently came across the name Silke ( prn silk-uh). What are your thoughts? I think "Silke Marija" (prn maria... Moms name) sounds nice. We are of Scandinavian/Slovenian heritage, so the names we like tend to lean towards those roots.

Loved it ever since I read Ben Elton's Two Brothers. You might get a few pronunciation issues but I say go for it.

Ohhh I have never read that book! That's kind of neat!! Yeah I know there may be some pronunciation issues... Not yet too sure how big of an issue I feel that is.

It's a pretty common name here in Belgium, not for the current generation, but when I was young there were plenty of Silke's around. Easy to pronounce in Dutch, but if you live in an English-speaking country I might worry that they'll pronounce the e- end as 'ee' instead of 'uh'.

Quote Originally Posted by little_redhead View Post
    Easy to pronounce in Dutch, but if you live in an English-speaking country I might worry that they'll pronounce the e- end as 'ee' instead of 'uh'.
    I think it depends if you've seen it before. I'm English and I know how to say Silke. I can't even remember why I know how to say it anymore, lol.

I quite like it, though there are other names of Scandinavian origin I prefer more.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.