Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Can I name my daughter Lucia if my partner and I are not Italian?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely! Go for it!

29 76.32%
  • I'd be OK with that.

9 23.68%
  • Absolutely not! That's not right.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I use Lucia if I'm not Italian?

I love the name Lucia, pronounced the Italian way (loo-CHEE-a).

I am not Italian, nor is my partner. I just like the sound, meaning and feel of the name. I have long appreciated the Italian culture and language, having grown up in a city of Australia with a large Italian population.

What would you think if you met my daughter Lucia? (I'm asking whether you think that would "sit right" with you, not whether you like the name itself.)

Have you met any other Lucias? Have they had an Italian heritage or were they non-Italian?

Perhaps you have had similar experiences with names of other origins - for example, you've known someone who was not Spanish but had a name that was pronounced in the Spanish way. How did that sit with you? Is there a general "rule" you have about such things, or do you think it just depends on the name or the individual case?

(My daughter Lucia would have a Croatian surname, in case that factors into your decision.)
    直美 Naomi

Lucia Pascale

Avery Edward Francis

I had a friend with this name and she has no Italian heritage whatsoever. She pronounces it Loo-see-a though.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias

I voted for the first option.

Lucia in itself is a very pan-European name in my view. I would only think "Italian" if I heard the loo-CHEE-ah pronunciation. I might assume the parents have some kind of Italian (or perhaps Swiss, Maltese, Corsican, etc.) connection, but I certainly wouldn't think anything negative if they hadn't.

Have you met any other Lucias? Have they had an Italian heritage or were they non-Italian?
    Several. All non-Italian, English and Irish girls. Some said loo-SEE-ah while others said LOO-shah.

If the loo-CHEE-ah pronunciation is well-known in your area then I don't see any problems with it.

I've met many a non-Italian Lucia. The name is really pan-cultural-- sort of like Cecilia or Beatrice. The most recent Lucia I met was German (and she pronounced it the Italian way).

Yeah. There are no rules about cultures. I wouldn't automatically think that Lucia is Italian either.
    Please contribute to the Nameberry Combination Charts by adding your names to this thread. I would really appreciate your help! http://http://nameberry.com/nametalk...tistics/page19