Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Oberon almost has a 'bear' sound in the middle. Bear could be a potential nickname perhaps?
    Renny beat me too it. I love Oberon and have Oberon nn Bear on a longer favorites list (somewhere).

I think the kid who was “mercilessly” teased probably brought it upon himself a bit….
    “Hey Oberon’s a weird name”
    “It’s not weird… it mean’s King of Fairies”
    “Oh so you’re a fairy then?”
    “No, I’m not….” etc.

I mean I think it depends on how young the kids were. High School, I’d hope they know 12th Night (actually I think we read it in 8th) but I think one can easily help a child focus on the King part of the name. Or on how bad-ass, and downright frightening the original fae-lore fairies can be. I think if you name your kid Oberon and help him define fairy in a far sense instead of a “ballet slippers & sparkles” sense it’s going to be hard to tease him. A “yeah, not just any fairy but the ruler” will probably keep the teasing to a minimum - should it ever start to begin with. I think it’s the same with all teasing really - if you don’t let it bug you it tappers off quickly - if it consistently bugs you it becomes a much larger issue.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Told my husband about all the love for Oberon this thread has generated and he seemed surprised. May have helped the cause a bit!

Now, the fact it doesn't really go very well with our son's name is a whole other problem but with all the issues we've been having simply trying to find names we both like, I'm past caring about sibsets!

Oberon has been rapidly climbing my favorites list--it's my #2 favorite atm.

I don't think the "King of the Fairies" thing would be a problem until at least high school, and probably not even then. If you're concerned about the Midsummer connection, spelling it Auberon would distance it from that a bit.

And yep, like previous posters I adore the nickname Bear! Oberon means "bearlike" so it's doubly perfect.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr