Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Oberon - Too Much Teasing Potential?

I like the name Oberon. A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favourite Shakespearean comedies and I like the sound of the name. However, I discounted it as an option when I came across someone saying they went to school with an Oberon and he was teased mercilessly with being called a fairy etc. I was surprised (and slightly impressed) kids young enough to tease over something like that actually knew Oberon was 'King of the fairies' and in the last few days I've been wondering how likely it is for it to be picked up on at school? Was this example an unfortunate one-off or do you think it's a common hazard of the name?

My other concern with Oberon is not really like any potential NNs. I really don't like Ron and I'm not overly fond of Obi. Can you think of any other NNs?

I don't think it has more teasing potential than, say, Tristan. As for nicknames, I can think of Berry(when he is little), Bron and there is also Aubrey which is supposed to be unisex but I am not sure. Do you like any of these?
    Olympia
    Russian Lit student, bookworm, and arts geek.

Serena Elowen LivEmmeline Twila AliceSibyl Jemima IrisEsme Helena Mazarine
    Nathaniel Silvius Wilde Grover Elijah St JohnOscar Ignatius Cosmo Robin Hector Barnaby

Quote Originally Posted by handsallover View Post
    I don't think it has more teasing potential than, say, Tristan. As for nicknames, I can think of Berry(when he is little), Bron and there is also Aubrey which is supposed to be unisex but I am not sure. Do you like any of these?
    I really like Bron and actually think that would help to convince DH, too (I think he'll be underwhelmed by Oberon). Thank you.

Oberon is on my list and i really doubt anyone who is at the teasing names age knows about the reference... I think the person who made that comment is more likely assuming the kid will be teased rather then actually knowing.

I think ppl who know of the reference would have a level of maturity- well i hope..

I really like Bron as a nn I might have to run the name past my husband and see if i can sneak it onto the list.

Waiting for baby bear #1

** Freya
    Winifred Ivy** ~~ Ronan Kelvin March ~~ ^^Alice Lillian Ada^^

Considering
    Guinevere, Wilder, Inara, Xander, Scarlett, Imogen,
    Lila, Phoebe, Liv, Lorraine, Chance, Sadie, June, Seth
    Trent, Heath, Nathaniel, Lennox, Claudia, Ash, Finn

Oberon is cool! Bron is a cool, definitely masculine nickname. It even sounds like the word "brawn." Makes me think of LeBron James, too.
    Or how about "Bero?" (Barrow) I've heard of other parents using that one for Tiberius and similar names.
    You could also use Ben, Bern, or Bernie.
    Mommy to Travis Nevin and Baby #2 is due April 6th, 2015
    Future Sons: Angus Loudon ...or... Harvey Leonhard ...or... Jethro Blaise
    Future Daughters: Ada Katherine "Ada Kate" ...or... Tessa Charlotte ...or... Florence Imogen