Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Nameberry Accent Challenge!

I get told that I have an accent a lot, but I don't notice it. I thought it'd be fun to do an accent challenge. I made a Soundcloud account for Berries. https://soundcloud.com/

User name: Nameberrysound@gmail.com
    Password: namenerd

Just title the audio with your username and post the link here. Also put your state.

*If there is a different spelling for a word where you live, use the one you're familiar with.

Pronounce the following words:
    Aunt, Roof, Route, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminum*, Crackerjack, Doorknob, Envelope.

Questions:
    What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
    What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?
    What do you call gym shoes?
    What do you call your grandparents?
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
    Do you think you have an accent?

My Answers:
    Teepee
    Soda
    Sneakers
    Grandma and Grandpa(to the person) Grandmother and Grandfather(when speaking about them)
    Wagon and shopping cart. I say wagon more often.
    Remote
    No.

https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoic...ly-at-new-york
    Last edited by ikfly; January 9th, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
    Dany (Also known as Athena Danielle)
    Could you check out these threads? I'll return the favor.
    Link
    Link

Rosemary Gloria ~ Lilith Seraphine ~ Alaric Matthew ~ Henry Marcellus ~ Sebastian Rhys

I so want to do this but is it only going to work for Americans? I'd have to say 'aluminium' as that's our word for it. Also, I like your accent

EDIT:: Whatevs, I'm doing it anyway. And done. I had to say 'pyjamas' and 'aluminium' and for some reason it has me saying the last word twice... even though I only said it once...

Double Edit:: Mmk, I did a slower version.

Questions:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?: Teepee? This is very American though. I don't think it actually happens here so I only know what it is from seeing it in your films. I don't think there's an English word for it.
    What is a bubbly carbonated drink called? Fizzy drink OR the suffix 'ade' lemonade, cherryade, orangeade. 'ade' denotes fizzy.
    What do you call gym shoes?: Trainers.
    What do you call your grandparents?: Granddad is the only one I have left. Formerly, Grandma, Nanna and Pop.
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?: Trolley.
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with?: TV control.
    Do you think you have an accent?: Not a regional one no. I have flat northern 'a's' though. 'ant' instead of 'aunt' for example.

https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoices/renrose

Sorry it sucks, I only have a webcam mic built into my laptop and it is poor.
    Last edited by renrose; January 9th, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Like ren I'm not American I'm Australian can I do it I say most of the words very differently.
    Edit: I can't work out how to upload when I do I will try it.
    Last edited by emiliana; January 9th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

okay, this is really cool! how do I do it? Can I do it with my phone? Do you do Add to playlist or Add to group?

I'll do the second part for now until I figure out how to record my voice.

Edited to add my clip: *Click*

raised in California USA, currently live in Alaska USA

Questions:
    What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
    What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?
    What do you call gym shoes?
    What do you call your grandparents?
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
    Do you think you have an accent?

teepee
    soda
    gym shoes or tennis, sounds like ten knees
    gima, grandpa, abuelita, abuelito is what I call them. When referring to them, usually grandma/grandpa or grandfather/grandmother
    cart
    remote
    not at all, but the rest of the world does
    Last edited by redwoodfey; January 9th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Fixed! I forgot there are different spellings for some words depending on where you live.

I really do have an accent. It's not a very heavy one that most associated with New York(from movies and tv shows). I used to have a bit of speech impediment, so I always associated how I speak with that.

It's kind of fun comparing how I sound through my ears normally and how I sound recorded. It sounds so different.
    Dany (Also known as Athena Danielle)
    Could you check out these threads? I'll return the favor.
    Link
    Link

Rosemary Gloria ~ Lilith Seraphine ~ Alaric Matthew ~ Henry Marcellus ~ Sebastian Rhys