Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Made Up Names'

'Made Up Names'

I posted a thread about this on a parenting forum I go on ages ago but I don't think many of the members really got what I was saying. I'm hoping, with this being a naming site, people will understand (even if, as I suspect, they disagree) what I'm trying to articulate.

I hate the phrase 'made up names'. It seems like a bit of a tautology to me. All names - absolutely every single name that has ever been in existence - is made up!? Whether the name was made up thousands of years ago, hundreds of years ago, decades ago or yesterday, they're still all made up!

I also find it amusing when I see people outing a name as a 'made up name' (obviously meaning they think it's a recently made up name) when it's actually ancient Greek or Shakespearean etc.

Everyone seems to think this is a perfectly acceptable phrase. Am I the only person in the world who finds it annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by darklady View Post
    I hate the phrase 'made up names'. It seems like a bit of a tautology to me. All names - absolutely every single name that has ever been in existence - is made up!? Whether the name was made up thousands of years ago, hundreds of years ago, decades ago or yesterday, they're still all made up!
    No. This isn't true. To explain it simply:

Bafanominxie = A name I made up just now and, quite frankly, it's ridiculous. It has no meaning, it has no history; I simply picked some random sounds out of thin air.

Lucy = A name with a family tree called an 'etymology'. http://www.behindthename.com/name/lucy/tree

There are a few threads about this already I think. You could use the search bar and see what comes up.
    Last edited by renrose; January 8th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I think when people say that they think it's "made up", it's name like Trynzzleigh, Bernardleigh or things in that order? I know for certain, that the name Maloa is made up, but when I showed it to my mum and her answer was "Where did you find that? It's so much prettier than the name Malou."
    Yes, it's okay not to like the name if they're made up, as they have no meaning. Say.. Taking a new name such as; Caorin. It's female, close to Carin/Carina, but because it doesn't have any meaning, I could feed you with the meaning Sorrowful or Wanderer, as you cannot possible know if it's real or not.
    As we already know that Madisyn is a variant of Madison, so it means the same thing, but ti doesn't look pretty, hm? And Paisleigh is a variant of Paisley.

But if the name is acceptable in Shakespearean plays or in Greek mythology, then it is a acceptable name.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~

Quote Originally Posted by darklady View Post

That's true in so much as all words and language were once created. But words have been refined over the years and most have definite meanings and a clear history of usage. It is the same with names. I do not find the phrase annoying as it is perfectly appropriate to say "Nevaeh is a made- up name. It has no meaning, no substance, and no history of usage." I do, however, find it annoying when legitimate names are thought to be made up because a) inventing your own name is such a trend that it's a default assumption, and b) the hearer has never otherwise encountered the name.
    #1 on the way!
    Why yes, I probably should be working!

Benjamin * Sebastian * Ezra * Edmund * Henry * Hugo * Cormac * Andrew * Winston * Levi * Zev * Theodore

Arabella * Aviva * Ariella * Maeve * Matilda * Eleanor * Catherine * Charlotte * Beatrice

Surely, the only reason names have a 'meaning' and 'history' is because they are old. For instance, the name Miranda seems to be an accepted not 'made up' name these days and Nameberry gives it the 'meaning' of 'marvelous. But Shakespeare just made it up?? How is that any different from someone today making up a name? Why does when the name was made up matter? And where is the cut off point?

Also, with names that have a etymological tree it's again just because they're old. There are many variations of names people come up with today but they're thought ti be inferior to variations people came up with a few hundred years ago.