Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Too cute?

Quote Originally Posted by orphanedhanyou View Post
    Aimee - spell correctly to prevent having to spell it out every time she meets someone
    This is the French spelling. It's perfectly correct.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I've mentioned before that I'm an adult with a "cute" name. I know some cute-named adults who love their name and some don't. I have two brothers with classic biblical names, and a sister with one of the very standard classic female names, and they all exclusively answer to NNs. My brothers even use them in their bylines. Meanwhile, I have a nickname-name and want a formal name. There's just no knowing until a child grows up a bit! So you may as well use what you love, absent glaring drawbacks.

FWIW, I really like a lot of the names you listed! A lot of times "cute" also reads as "spunky" or "spirited" or "lively," traits that also work on a teen, adult, or old lady. I find this especially true of many of your favorites.
    A few of yours are on my personal list: Amelie, Aimee, Freya, Sylvie, and Violet. I've always loved Lottie and Lettie, would probably use as a NN, but only because I love so many names they're short for. And Posy would be my NN for any Paloma I'd have, but I think it's fine by itself.
    Last edited by isolieth; January 7th, 2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Autocorrect fail
    Girls:
    Nickname-able: Susanna, Johanna, Paloma, Lucille, Harriet, Beatrix, Rosemary, Juniper, Marigold, Annabeth, Gwendolen, Kathleen, Tabitha
    Short and to-the-point: Flora, Jane, Laura, Anne, Cecile, Susan, Kaia

Boys:
    So much easier: Hugh/Hugo, Wilfred, Basil, Augustin, Edmund, Arlo, Timothy, Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by orphanedhanyou View Post
    i agree that sometimes you must go with your gut....

however my only problem with this is that sometimes parents forget they are naming a PERSONthat will have to grow up....
    remember that this name will be used in three important ways:

1) at school by peers
    2) at work by a boss or promoter
    3) by their future partner in a romantic setting

they arent 'just yours'.....they have to live with the name you give them forever and have it be used by the entire world.
    I find this quite aggressive really. If I named my daughter Millie because I like it - I'm not thinking of my daughter as a person? Tell that to the thousands of parents who use all the names on my list each year in the United Kingdom.

BTW, I am seriously doubting that parents care how their child's name sounds when it's being moaned out by a future partner in an intimate or romantic setting. I don't think ANY parent wants to think of their child that way.
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; January 7th, 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    This is the French spelling. It's perfectly correct.
    Thank you! I have honestly never heard of anyone calling Aimee incorrect before

Florence, Edith, Doris, Alice, Elsie, Lillian, Violet, Mabel, Ada, Evelyn
    Eva, Edna, Minnie, Martha, Amelia, Phoebe, Sylvia, Hazel, Agatha, Beatrice

Matthew, Ernest, Louis, Christopher, Andrew, Albert, George, Joshua, James, Harry
    Freddie, Henry, Adam, Teddy, Daniel, Percy, Mark, Walter, Stanley, Liam

when you've been fighting for it all your life, you've been struggling every day and night,
    it's how a superhero learns to fly

Favorites:
    Poppy
    Gemma
    Georgia
    Ruby
    Freya
    Lottie
    Maisie
    Posy (love this so I left it here even though I think it potentially should go under cutesy - I prefer it as a NN for Josephine or Persephone)
    Amelie
    Sylvie

Cutesy:
    Rosie (unless a NN for Rose or one of the other Ros- names.)
    Gracie (unless a NN for Grace)

Overused:
    Sophie
    Mia
    Ella
    Ava
    Violet
    Lily
    Emma

Just not my style:
    Millie
    Elsie
    Daisy
    Isla
    Aimee
    Holly

Caveats:
    *I'm pretty sensitive to names being popular (I've been struggling and struggling with Hazel for this reason). The ones I listed as overused are ones I hear too much in my area to want to use myself. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the names, in fact some of them are lovely.

*I think the names that come across as too cutesy to me do so because they are diminutive forms of other names. So while Poppy ends in the same -ee sound, it's not the short form of another name so it doesn't bother me as a given name.