Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Too cute?

Quote Originally Posted by orphanedhanyou View Post
    Aimee - spell correctly to prevent having to spell it out every time she meets someone
    This is the French spelling. It's perfectly correct.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

I've mentioned before that I'm an adult with a "cute" name. I know some cute-named adults who love their name and some don't. I have two brothers with classic biblical names, and a sister with one of the very standard classic female names, and they all exclusively answer to NNs. My brothers even use them in their bylines. Meanwhile, I have a nickname-name and want a formal name. There's just no knowing until a child grows up a bit! So you may as well use what you love, absent glaring drawbacks.

FWIW, I really like a lot of the names you listed! A lot of times "cute" also reads as "spunky" or "spirited" or "lively," traits that also work on a teen, adult, or old lady. I find this especially true of many of your favorites.
    A few of yours are on my personal list: Amelie, Aimee, Freya, Sylvie, and Violet. I've always loved Lottie and Lettie, would probably use as a NN, but only because I love so many names they're short for. And Posy would be my NN for any Paloma I'd have, but I think it's fine by itself.
    Last edited by isolieth; January 7th, 2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Autocorrect fail
    Susanna, Gwendolen, Thomasin, Paloma, Lucille
    Basil, Wilfred, Hugh, Augustin, Edmund
    ... and hundreds more

Quote Originally Posted by orphanedhanyou View Post
    i agree that sometimes you must go with your gut....

however my only problem with this is that sometimes parents forget they are naming a PERSONthat will have to grow up....
    remember that this name will be used in three important ways:

1) at school by peers
    2) at work by a boss or promoter
    3) by their future partner in a romantic setting

they arent 'just yours'.....they have to live with the name you give them forever and have it be used by the entire world.
    I find this quite aggressive really. If I named my daughter Millie because I like it - I'm not thinking of my daughter as a person? Tell that to the thousands of parents who use all the names on my list each year in the United Kingdom.

BTW, I am seriously doubting that parents care how their child's name sounds when it's being moaned out by a future partner in an intimate or romantic setting. I don't think ANY parent wants to think of their child that way.
    Last edited by lawsonhaley; January 7th, 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    This is the French spelling. It's perfectly correct.
    Thank you! I have honestly never heard of anyone calling Aimee incorrect before

Favorites:
    Poppy
    Gemma
    Georgia
    Ruby
    Freya
    Lottie
    Maisie
    Posy (love this so I left it here even though I think it potentially should go under cutesy - I prefer it as a NN for Josephine or Persephone)
    Amelie
    Sylvie

Cutesy:
    Rosie (unless a NN for Rose or one of the other Ros- names.)
    Gracie (unless a NN for Grace)

Overused:
    Sophie
    Mia
    Ella
    Ava
    Violet
    Lily
    Emma

Just not my style:
    Millie
    Elsie
    Daisy
    Isla
    Aimee
    Holly

Caveats:
    *I'm pretty sensitive to names being popular (I've been struggling and struggling with Hazel for this reason). The ones I listed as overused are ones I hear too much in my area to want to use myself. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the names, in fact some of them are lovely.

*I think the names that come across as too cutesy to me do so because they are diminutive forms of other names. So while Poppy ends in the same -ee sound, it's not the short form of another name so it doesn't bother me as a given name.