Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I always knew I wanted to breastfeed but the idea kind of weirded me out while pregnant. My goal was to get to 6 months, then a year...and then somehow I found myself finally weaning my first at just over 2. I was lucky and it was very easy for me, he had a good latch and was a good feeder from the start.

While I would not say I'm especially proud to have breastfed successfully (maybe because in my peer group it seems to be the norm), I do feel very good about the fact we did it. As for nursing in public, I never used a cover but did always wear a nursing tank layered under my shirt so once baby was latched on nothing was exposed at all. On a couple occasions I actually had people come up to me and try to "say hi" to baby while I was nursing because they had no idea I wasn't just cradling a sleepy child!

Oh, and I meant to add...make sure you take some pictures if you'd like to have them!! We have several and I'm so glad to have them.

Good on you corvet! And you other breast feeding ladies too

I did it, but I can't say I enjoyed it. I can remember a handful of wonderful times, but most of the time breastfeeding was a fear-and-pain dance. My daughter started teething before she was four months old, and I got bitten a lot. I did love how I always had this magic thing that would calm her down, and that I carried food on my chest so I didn't have it in my bag. And not heating up bottles in the middle of the night. I was tired enough. Breast feeding is convenient and free, can't go wrong with that. I dropped all her day time feeds at 5 months old, feeding only at night to help me get my period back so I could fall pregnant again, and she fed at night until she started sleeping through at 11 months old. I wish I was the type of mum to miss that bonding, but I don't. And I'm not thrilled about breastfeeding future children. I will, because the benefits far outweigh my selfish discomfort, but I don't think I'll ever truly like it.
    I do however, love how awesome my breasts look when I'm a milk machine lol

Here in Oz there are laws that protect you, no one is legally within their right to ask you to cover up or to move away to breast feed. I never used a cover. It's hot! I don't see anyone else wanting to eat with their head under a blanket, why should my baby? I figure people can look away if they don't want to deal with that possible 5 second glimpse of nipple that can happen between getting my breast out and putting it into my baby's face, but they can't turn off their ears if she starts howling.

I have breastfed all of my children (well, Wolfie is still nursing ) and am proud it worked out this way. I have had lots of nursing pics taken this time around since he is our last. Going to do child led weaning like the others too.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

I breastfed all four of my children and I'm very proud of it. I am nursing after breast surgery and had a lot of obstacles of overcome in order to do it. I nursed all of my children for over a year. I nursed one daughter until she was 2 1/2, tandem nursed two of my daughters for seven months, and I'm still nursing my youngest who is 21 months old. All combined, I've been breastfeeding for over six years.

There are things that I love about it, I've encountered challenges that have made it very hard, and there are even aspects that I dislike about it, but, at this point, I'm so used to it that I hardly even think about it. It's just what I do. I imagine I'll be a little wistful when my youngest daughter finally weans - she's my last one - but this will be more about her growing up than my actually missing breastfeeding.

My daughter only nurses a few times per day now (morning, nap, and bedtime) so there isn't much need to nurse in public anymore, but, when she depended on it, I did. I never used a cover. No one's life was irrevocably changed from the shock of seeing my daughters nurse in public. In my opinion, it's a trivial thing to get offended about, people need to get over this, and the more often people see mothers nursing in public, the more normal it becomes.