Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Breastfeeding & Proud

I'm curious of how others felt/feel about breastfeeding. Do you embrace it, do you celebrate the moment & capture it to cherish later in life?

When I was pregnant I never felt, well, anything towards breastfeeding, or breastfeeding in public for that matter. This was something I never seen done & was never really talked about around me. It seems so abnormal (here in the states), almost taboo.

As my duedate approached I was still uncertain if I would attempt this form of nourishment for my child, certainly Id cover up in front of others. I didn't buy bottles to discourage myself but I didn't buy a pump either incase it didn't work out.

When she was born, I asked to nurse immediately. At that point I didn't think I would continue past 3-6, now Im thinking will I continue well into her toddler years?

My credit goes to my now 8 month daughter, she is the one who made it easy to start this. She made it easy to continue, embrace & be proud to nourish her. I went from trying to hide under a blanket to going to fairs with child in arm & not a worry in mind of what others might think. My mom trys to hand me a cover in restaurants as the waiter ask for our order & I politely decline wondering why she would think I would be embarassed.

My breast went from sexual to maternal & natural. With all this being said, with so much of my time spent with my daughter at breast giggling up at me, I became to love the moment. Yet I have nothing to show for it. Thousands of pictures of my baby, a fraction of which are with me but none of our closest moment, our dearest moments. I find them just as beautiful if not more intimate than any moment we share since her birth & theres not one in my album..

This is something I want to change, I want to have these photos to show how beautiful life is. To show how close & lovely a connection is shared. To look back & be nostalgic. I applaud everyone who celebrates & embraces such a natural act.

On a side note, I understand everyone has their own opinions, some women has issues or lifestyles that do not mix well & I hope this doesnt offend anyone in any odd way or start any big debates.

I breast fed my daughter until she was 9 months old. It was her decision to stop then, she was just done with it. And I was OK with that. I never would have breast fed into the toddler years anyway, I just didn't see it as necessary (I on the other hand was breast fed until I was around 2.5 years). I don't live the "I breast-fed and I am so proud of myself I want to show the world" lifestyle. In public, I would always cover up because just as it is my right to breast feed in public, it is everyone else's right to not see my breast hanging out. I agree that it is not sexual, but I didn't feel it was appropriate to show the world. Not because of shame. To me, it is so natural that it does not need to be praised. I am happy I did it, I will do it again the 2nd time around. It was not easy for me a lot of the time because of work and stress, but it was best for her.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Marlow Simone - Romy Corinne
    Zefram Eli - Miles Thatcher

@corvet

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this. I think breastfeeding is great and I hope that all moms feel supported in however they end up feeding their babies. I am wondering where in the state you live though? I am in NC and breastfeeding is very far from taboo here. Women openly breastfeed everywhere. I regularly see moms breastfeeding toddlers in the park. Some moms use covers, but it seems that most do not. I have read that 80% of women in America breastfeed their babies, so it seems like a normal thing.

I didn't think I would breastfeed when I was pregnant. Prior to deciding to have a baby I never gave it any thought at all. When I was pregnant I kind of resented the breast feeding propaganda out there to be honest!

After I had my daughter they urged me to try, 2 lactation consultants visited with me during my hospital stay and they even had free classes in the hosp that they invited me to attend & a pump that they wheeled into my room unasked...

I decided to give nursing a try and what do you know, my daughter took to it like a champ. I ended up getting into it simply because it was so portable and easy and free and a no-fail way to soothe my baby. We didn't need bottles or pacifiers or any accessories! I did supplement here & there because I had no desire to pump. If I was away, the breast milk came with me! Luckily, I was very rarely away. I bought a few packs of the ready to serve mini bottles that they give out at the hosp. They're more expensive, but a good idea for those who primarily breast feed & don't want to buy a bunch of gear.

As for public feedings, I never used a cover. It wasn't out of all that much pride. Again, it was more about keeping things simple. I was living in NYC for the first year and had to keep things pared down cause I didn't have a car. I didn't want to add a cover to the list of things I had to carry. Sometimes I would wear scarves, but I wasn't especially modest. I guess I'm not the most modest person in my everyday life though!

I breast fed my daughter til she was 1.5 and would do it again with any other kid I have. But if any future child doesn't take to it I wouldn't force it or feel disappointed. I honestly think that formula fed babies do just as well in the long run and the experience of feeding is bonding no matter how it's done & by whom.

One bonus for me was discovering my daughter's food allergies through nursing instead of having her first bite of egg be actual pure egg which could have resulted in an extreme reaction. She had skin reactions when I ate it & she ate the diluted egg in the breast milk. Pretty crazy!