Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help, Elsa was the name, but now with Frozen movie, is it ruined???

Hi,
    Ok, Elsa was to be my baby name for the past 10 years, she is my first due in April and of course the animated movie FROZEN just came out and the evil sister is ELSA, uhg. Yes she is a beauty and they say she is not evil but misunderstood, ha ha. But the biggest issue for me is that I want a RARE name, usually like names out of the top 1000. But I am Norwegian and I want a scandinavian name and the only other name I really like is Wilhelmina, I also love Biba, but its not scandinavian.

My husband just spent some time with a 3 year old who couldn't stop talking about Elsa from the movie, it made me cringe, thinking is this going to be the next Emma????

Please let me know your thoughts

Elsa is a beautiful name with a storied past. The association with the movie will fade, and even now I doubt it's particularly strong outside of the three-year-old demographic. Would you regret passing over Elsa in favor of something else?

I don't think it is going to be a big association. The name itself may be rare, but it sounds like many popular names. I wouldn't worry.
    Mom to Sonia Violette and Tabitha Claire

I don't think it's going to become popular. For the next year or two people may ask "Elsa, like from Frozen?" but memories about these things tend to be short. Disney isn't as ubiquitous as it once was, and it's the classics like Cinderella or Snow White people tend to keep going back to, not the newer ones. Can anyone remember the names of the characters in, say, Tangled? I can't.

My first thought is actually Elsa Schraeder (the Baroness) from The Sound of Music, since I grew up with that movie. I don't actually dislike her character, it was more a wrong woman for the man thing than anything she did wrong in my opinion.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I love the name Elsa. I didn't know that was a character's name in Frozen, as I haven't seen it, but I have a feeling no one will draw the correlation. Use it!!
    mara tenille
    due with baby #1 on 7-3-14

freya - adelaide - eloise - evelyn - vera - blythe - vivienne
    finneas - tobias - knox - sparrow - jude - ezekiel