Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Sherlock is not usable as a first name. It would get far too many jokes. Arthur or Doyle could be a nice homage to Arthur Conan Doyle though. I also like Holmes as a middle name.

I'm going to say the opposite to everyone else here and say that I actually really like Sherlock as a first name. Yes it is strongly linked to Sherlock Holmes but it's not like that's a bad association. I would be excited to meet someone named Sherlock.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

As much as I want to say yes, I think Sherlock is probably a middle name only name, especially at the moment with BBC's 'Sherlock' being so popular.
    Last edited by renrose; January 6th, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I think it's best left in the middle spot. I like the suggestions of Arthur or Doyle to pay homage, though.
    "Walter. That’s good. I’ve never known a little kid named Walter. It seems like an old man’s name, but I guess you have to start somewhere."

This got me thinking, though. Why haven't more people used the name Sherlock through the years? Unless they have and I didn't realise? I did some research on the name, but I didn't find much. People were rabid fans of Doyle's books back in the late 1800s, and there have been new adaptions of Sherlock Holmes ever since. It doesn't seem unlikely that the name would take off, but it hasn't. Any ideas why?