Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cloth Diapers

Here is a response I wrote a while back for a similar question. For what it is worth, here is the entire thread. It probably has some useful information for you. (http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...=cloth+diapers)

We use cloth for our 9 and a half month twins.

First I think it is really important to buy a few kinds and try them out before making the big commitment. Until you try it you have NO idea which will work well for your kid!

We use mainly BumGenius, but we also have a few FuzziBunz and Kawaii Babies (all one size pocket diapers). The BumGenius have pretty much worked well for us since day one which is why we decided to invest in more of them. My kids are about 23 lbs now and the FuzziBunz are starting to feel a bit small. When they were pretty young the Kawaii Babies (other than the particular newborn diapers) felt HUGE on them. Even when they were about 12+ pounds we still found they leaked a lot. We put them away for a long time and recently have been trying them again in a pinch. They seem to be fine, but the definitely didn't work for us before the boys were pretty sizable. (That said, the Kawaii Baby newborn diapers we had worked great and the diaper that best fit my smaller boy for a while.)

Kawaii baby diapers are definitely cheaper but in my opinion that reduction in cost is evident also in the diaper itself- they feel much less sturdy. Our 20 BumGenius diapers have been washed every other day for over 8 months and are still in great shape. I don't know if the Kawaii Baby diapers would have held up as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have to replace a cheaper diaper it might not actually end up being cheaper. Maybe someone else has some experience on this that they can share with you because I am only speculating based on my perception of our 4 Kawaii Baby diapers. We have not put it to the test.

As for number of diapers, that really depends on how often you are able to do laundry. (I think they recommend a max of 2 or 3 days before washing them.) We run a diaper load every afternoon. It is a long cycle with a pre-wash and extra rinse and then they hang dry. Until recently for our two boys we had 20 BumGenius diapers, 2 Kawaii baby (non-newborn sizes) and 2 FuzziBunz although we rarely used the Kawaii Baby and FuzziBunz. We recently purchased 10 more BumGenius diapers because we wanted a bit more of a laundry buffer for when they start preschool in the fall and we won't be able to run a load of laundry and have them dry in time for the next day. (Not all brands can be dried in a dryer.)

Good luck with your decision!

(As an update, our kids are now nearly 2 and half and the bumgenius diapers are still in good shape!)
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel

I've cloth diapered two kids with my son through potty training and we're still going with my daughter. I have had my preferences change over time. I did a lot of fitteds with my son at first for poop control since he pooped all the time. Then he got squirmy and we did pockets for awhile. I've always preferred prefolds for my daughter since it's less work in advance and we have fewer leaks. We just trifold them and lay them into the cover. They're a lot cheaper then the fancier pockets or all in ones.
    I had 24 diapers with my son when he was a newborn and felt like I constantly was washing diapers. I ordered another dozen for my daughter and it was much easier but my son pooped a lot. I think we had about 6-8 covers since we only trifolded if you folded up the profolds and pinned or snappied then you could probably get away with fewer.
    Mother to: Patrick Werner (3/10) and Mary Claire (06/12)

98% of our cloths are Kwaiis, and we love them. We got them second hand, from a mama who used them on two babes, so they are going through their THIRD baby, and are still great. We have a few different styles, and we like some better than others, but we've never had a problem with leaking or anything. I think we've had one elastic break recently, and that's after a year of US using them, so I can't really complain.
    My heart - Leonidas Alexander Sanad - 12/12/12
    Baby Boy Maassy #2 - Debuting September 2014

Sunbaby diapers are made in and shipped from China from a mom who started making them independently. They're also very good pocket diapers for a great price
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13