Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A name that exists in more than one language?

I was wandering around the planet believing that my name - Naomi - was Hebrew and meant "pleasantness" or "pleasant one".

Then a Japanese fellow I knew asked me why I had a Japanese name. I looked it up and found that Naomi is a unisex name in Japanese. One way of writing it is:

直美

where 直 (nao) means "honest, straight" and 美 (mi) means "beautiful".

Do you know of any other names like this?
    直美 Naomi

Lucia Pascale

Avery Edward Francis

Ciara has a few incarnations in different languages, same sound but different spelling.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Asa is a male Hebrew name meaning doctor, but it is a female Japanese name meaning morning (also a word) but said ah-suh.

Kaia/Kaiya/Caia all sound the same but mean several things in different languages.

Mina is both a diminutive of names ending in -mina (Wilhelmina, Philomena) and means 'fish' in Sanskrit.

Ami means either 'second beautiful' or 'Asia beautiful' in Japanese, a male name in Hebrew meaning 'trustworthy, and a variation of Amy (which means beloved.)

Chika is both a Japanese name with several meanings (depending on the Kanji) and also an Igbo (West African language) name meaning 'God is the greatest'.

Hana means 'bliss' in Arabic and 'flower' in Japanese, as well as being an Eastern European variation of Hannah.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Neil/Neel - Neil is an Irish and Scottish name meaning either "champion" or "cloud" and Neel is a Hindi name meaning "blue" (okay, they are spelled differently, but sound the same)

Sheila/Sheela/Shila - Sheila is a Celtic variant of Cecelia and Sheela/Shila is a Hindi name meaning "character, conduct" (according to Behind The Name).

Noa is a girls' name in both Hebrew (female version of Noah) and Japanese.

Gitta is a short-form for the German name Brigitte/Brigitta (pronounced Brih-GEE-tuh) and Gita is a Hindi name meaning song. They sound the same, but one is obviously a nickname.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

The first one I thought of was Kai meaning sea in Hawaiian, forgiveness in Japanese, willow tree in Navajo, and earth in Scandinavian.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot