Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Danish Berries!

Danish Berries!

(or anyone who knows anything about Danish names, I suppose!)

It just hit me on the way home from work today how meaningful Danish things are to my parents (my mom has a Danish name, and my dad visited all over Europe while in the military--he's always raving about how much he loved Copenhagen! Plus, my mom went to Scandinavia with my grandma when she was much younger and loved it--I think she more went to Norway than anything, but she might have gone to Denmark?). Anyway, I was thinking about Danish names today, and I thought it might be a fun tie to both my parents. Does anyone have any interesting and cool Danish names? Not too out-there, but still distinctively Danish? I've been thinking about Laerke (is that in use, really, though? Is it a word name like Claire, that's fairly classic, or a word name like Soleil, which the French get in an uproar about?), but a lot of the ones I've found that are on Danish name lists are pretty international (Sylvia, Lena, Klara?). I've seen Elisabet, which I really like, too, but I feel like I shouldn't touch another form of Elizabeth with a ten-foot poll, with Isabelle and Lillian already on my list...

Thanks, ladies!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

Oh goodness, I love threads about Danish/Nordic/Scandinavian names

Lærke is as common as a name as it is as a word. I can think of at least four people I know named Lærke (repectively 24, 18, 17 and 6 years old). The most common Danish form of Elizabeth would be Elisabeth with an H in the end, we had a very well-loved television character named Elisabeth Friis.

I have some lists in my signature, but I'm gonna suggest some names to you anyway:
    Older names:
    Agnethe (AG-ne-teh)
    Alberte
    Alvilda (AL-vil-duh)
    Asta
    Benedikte (BENUH-dik-tuh)
    Christiane (KRIS-tee-ane-uh)
    Dagmar (DAAAHV-mahr; with emphasis on the 'aaah' because that's the sound you say)
    Dicte (DICT-uh)
    Eline (EL-ee-neh)
    Elise (EL-ees-eh)
    Ellen
    Elvira
    Esther
    Frida (FREE-dah)
    Gry
    Ida (EE-duh)
    Ingrid
    Johanne (JOHAN-nuh)
    Leonora
    Maren
    Margrethe (MAR-greh-teh)
    Martha
    Oddny (the D is soft)
    Regitze (RE-gith-zuh)
    Varla
    Vigga (VIGG-uh)

Newer names:
    Anemone
    Filippa
    Karla
    Lilje
    Mynte
    Ronja
    Svale
    Vilde (VIL-duh)
    Vilja
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

ha! I was so hoping you'd reply. I've always had a soft spot for Laerke (I have no clue how to do that a-e character on the computer, haha!), and och, I really love Eline! I've loved Eline and Aline, but I always figured they were French in origin, and said like eh-LEEN/ah-LEEN. Hmm. I'll have to think about Eline! I probably wouldn't use Eline and Eleni, though... And how I love Leni! I like Johanne, Leonora, Maren, etc., but probably not enough to use them... and I'm really intrigued by Agnethe! It sounds so beautiful (or at least, how I'm imagining it being said?), and I'm a huge fan of most Agnes variants. I really, really like Svale, too, but I think it might be too unusual here? I totally need to learn Danish--so many of these names are so much fun to say!

Any other Danish berries? Or Danish names in general?
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus