Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mila questions

Believe me when I say that I do not like nicknames as first names but I really think that Mila would be absolutely be fine as a first name. It reminds me of the actress Mila Kunis who seems so bubbly and full of personality, maybe that is why I like the name so much. But I understand the need to feel like you need a more substantial name. My husband and I have all but eliminated 4 letter names because we just didn't feel like they were "enough."
    TTC Baby #1 since December 2013
    Married to Adam since 2012
    I love...
    Olivia, Clementine, Addison, Harper, Penelope, Stella, Charlotte, Madelynn
    Jackson, Camden, Graham, Oliver, Emmett, Theodore, Abel, Abraham
    Dog mom to Phoebe and Nora

Mil a is traditionally a nickname but is gaining in popularity as a given name due to Mila Kunis. I wouldn't say that it's well established as a given name since it has only been in the top 1,000 since 2006. It is very trendy (rising from not in the top 1000 to 115 in less than 10 years).

It's a diminutive of Slavic names that contained the element mil, meaning gracious, dear. Ludmila, Milica, and Milena are some full forms with the nickname Mila.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    Mil a is traditionally a nickname but is gaining in popularity as a given name due to Mila Kunis. I wouldn't say that it's well established as a given name since it has only been in the top 1,000 since 2006. It is very trendy (rising from not in the top 1000 to 115 in less than 10 years).

It's a diminutive of Slavic names that contained the element mil, meaning gracious, dear. Ludmila, Milica, and Milena are some full forms with the nickname Mila.
    Actually, Milica and Milena are nicknames for Mila, not other way around.

Mila is not an element, it's word. Means gentle, gracious, sweet, dear, etc... Therefore, Milena and Milica are "invented" names deriving from name Mila. But Milena and Milica become established names thousands years ago, so it's OK to called them names. Just, Mila as a name is much older then Milena or Milica.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando
    Freya Elysant°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Cecily°Sunniva Eliska
    vote for unusual names

Milica and Milena are not nicknames for Mila. They are long forms that contain the element mil. Milica is a diminutive of names that contain mila but not a nickname. Ludmila literally means gracious, dear people. It combines lud- people and -mila gracious. Milena isn't directly related to Mila.

Mil/mila is a name element. A name element is an etymological piece of an individual name. These elements come from a single word. Bert, Fred, adel, and mil and adel examples.

Mil was a word long before it was a name. It was a nickname long before it was a name.

Word ---> name element ---> nickname ---> name
    Last edited by casilda; January 1st, 2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

The point is - Mila is standalone name.
    http://www.behindthename.com/name/milena
    Last edited by sorceress; January 1st, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    Tristan Gilbert°Robin Amaury°Leon Percival°Edmund Theoderic°Finn Beowulf°Magnus Oberon°Thorin Elliot°Edric Maximilian°Emil Orlando
    Freya Elysant°Belle Seraphina°Leda Cassiopeia°Briony Rosaline°Charlotte Romilly°Lotus Dorothea°Aurora Cecily°Sunniva Eliska
    vote for unusual names