Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unmistakably English Names

We found out we're having another boy today We're so excited but completely stumped on which way to go with names. My DH really would like a name that is very obviously English (we reside in both US and England). Our other boys are Ke11an Chr1stopher and Gav1n Rhys. I would prefer to steer away from names than end in -n but if we find something we love, I'm still open to it.

Some names that have come up from family names are
    Henry
    Charles
    George
    Arthur
    William
    Liam
    Lucas
    Oliver
    Peter
    Simon

Of those, I like Henry, Charles, Oliver and Liam. Charles I'm not sure about those because it would mean a single syllable first and last name. Liam I like but afraid it's too close in sound to his older brother.

What are others that we haven't thought of? I personally like Asher and Ethan but I don't believe either would qualify as "unmistakably English" (which seems to be my DH's main condition this go around).

All are great choices. I'm American, but when I think of England: Winston, Clive, Alfred/Alfie, Edmond, Robin, John, Spencer. Of your choices, William (nn Liam) and Charles are great! I think Charles is more like a syllable and a half...should work well w/a monosyllabic surname. Best wishes!

Well I like Asher and Ethan but Asher doesn't feel particularly British at all and Ethan was Hebrew/Biblical now diluted to just popular American.

Some of these are a bit clunky/dusty but I like names like that and of course names that are super popular in both places don't feel as British?

I like Henry & Arthur. My family specifically attacked Henry as "too British" if that helps.

Other ideas
    Hamish
    Malachy
    Gareth (Maybe too close to Gavin, I just like both)
    Tristan
    Crispin
    Edmund
    Hamish
    Alastair/Alasdair
    Callum
    Kingsley
    Digory
    Malcolm
    Angus
    Neville, Nigel
    Owen or if feeling real brave, Eoin. Eoin is MN-only material for me but it's legit.
    Euan
    Alan, which nobody at all is really using at this point but I secretly like it.
    Tavish
    Oisin
    Harvey - Henry is cool but Harvey has a similar feel minus some of its popularity?

I think Henry, Charles and Arthur are "unmistakable," but Oliver, Liam and George are also quite British. I agree with Alastair, Callum, Nigel, Malcolm, Clive and Alfie.

Other suggestions:
    Harry
    Rupert
    Lachlan
    Terrance/Terrence
    Piers
    Royston
    Dermot
    Graham
    Gordon
    Mom to Nora Cathleen.

Current favorites:
    Declan (Decs/Dex). Miles (Milo). Dean. Euan. Dexter (Dex). John (Johnny). Max. Finn. Leo. Reed.

Gwyneth (Gwen). Elise. Bronwen (Bonnie). Piper. Josephine (Josie). Iris. Margot. Sylvie. Edith (Edie). Joanna/Johanna.

Henry I like - a lot in fact - but it's one my DH has never latched onto. Currently George Arthur seems to be the combo that my DH and his British counterparts really like. I just cannot jump aboard that ship. I don't know what it is but I can't picture a little baby with the name George.

Of the names suggested so far I do like Piers, Graham, Clive but all of those names are one syllable and just won't work with our last name. Others I like include Lachlan (isn't that Scottish?), Crispin (DH liked this one) and Callum (too close to Kellan though).

Figuring out a 3rd boy's name is tougher than I thought it would be!