Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How would you pronounce these names?

How would you pronounce these names?
    I love the name Delilah but my partner always brings up negative connections for the name and while I was searching I found the similar name Dalila.
    So how would you pronounce the name Dalila? Would it be different from Delilah?

I pronounce them
    Delilah "De-lye-la"
    Dalila "Dah-lye-la"

What do you think of Delilah and Dalila?

Looking at Dalila, I firstly pronounce it dah-lee-lah.
    Even if you spell it differently, the similar pronunciation will bring up the same negative connections for your husband, I imagine.

Do you like:
    Lila/ Lillia
    Delia
    Keturah
    Keziah?
    Eliza Audrey | Eamon Reid
    Amalia Hazel | Leo Benjamin
    Freya Madeleine | Ronan Seth

I'd prn Dalila Dah-LEE-lah.

Crushing on
    ♥ Rosa ♥ Milvie ♥ Elsie ♥ Flora ♥ Inga ♥ Adele ♥ Fionn ♥ Odin ♥ Ingo ♥ Thore ♥ Ellis ♥ Vilme ♥

among others

~ From Sweden - Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about Swedish names! ~

I'd say: deh-LYH-lah and dah-LEE-lah (the latter being the way we pronounce Dalila in Danish).
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I'd pronounce both as Dah-lye-lah and just assume the latter name was a kree8tiv spelling... (it's just the name Lila with Da in front of it)

I'm personally not a fan. I understand the biblical objection but the idea of changing the spelling to get around your partner's objection seems a bit silly to me (also, I'm not sure it will achieve its intended goal). That's just my two cents.