Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unconventional Nicknames

Good evening, Berries!

I was thinking on unconventional or alternative nicknames today, and began a small list of those that I've met. For example, my husband's name is Stephen, but he goes by Shep instead of Steve.

I also know a Cole for Nicholas, and a Jamie for Benjamin.

Steve, Nick & Ben are such easy and intuitive nicknames...how did these alternative nicknames happen? I know for my DH, his mom disliked the nn Steve. She was afraid that nobody would call him by his formal name, Stephen, so she just started calling him Shep and it stuck!

What are some unconventional nicknames that you've run into? Any that you prefer over the intuitive ones? Do you know the stories behind them?

Agatha Louise - 'Aggie'
    Proud Step-Mom To
    Maddox Owen | Ryker Matthew
    Expecting First Biological Child - Little Girl - June 2014

Abram | Abel | Breccan | Brooks | Foster | Killian | Macsen | Milo | Silas
    Aurelia | Ever | Eloise | Madigan | Maeva | Noa | Romilly | Rowan | Wren

Since my name is Elizabeth, I get called Liz a lot, but I have been called:
    Izzy
    Bet
    Lizzers (I have weird friends)
    Lizbeth
    Wiz
    My dad's name is Felix so many relatives call him Fe, but his brothers call him Smitty, Smithy, and Shorty (although he on the shorter side of his brothers, he is still 6'3). I have no clue where they got Smitty and smithy from because our last name isn't Smith. Not even close.

My name is May Joy, but I've been called...
    Mayo
    Mayla Siqua(pronounced see-kwa)(I have weird friends too)
    Almond Joy
    May Jay

I've just been called these names when my friends randomly start making connections with a part of my name and something else.
    You can call me Pascale...

For some reason I can't explain
    I know Saint Peter won't call my name
    Never an honest word
    But that was when I ruled the world

~Viva La Vida, Coldplay

Ones I know:

Alejandro, nicknamed Ali (pronounced Ollie)
    Andrew, nicknamed Drewie (not necessarily non-intuitive, but "different" in combining Andy and Drew)
    Elizabeth, nicknamed Lily
    Jacob, nicknamed Coby
    Kristina, nicknamed Stina (I know this is common in Europe, but in the U.S., pretty unusual!)
    Luther, nicknamed Luke
    Phillip, nicknamed Trip

My name is Zelia and I have been called Elly, Lily, Leia, Eija and Elja/Elya (which has stuck).

I called my old friend K a t a r i n a "Rosin" (Danish for raisin) for a while, which came from her being nicknamed Rin and Rinse.

My grand-aunt was originally named Anne-Marie, but she's always been called Mie which is a common nickname for Danish Anne-Maries and she ended up changing her name to Mie.
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel