Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Character Naming Help

Hi! I was recently struck with an idea for a story and I'm eager to start tapping away, but I can't seem to find the perfect character names. I've tossed around some ideas, but I'm not sure if they "fit".

It's about a society that does not in any way alter their bodies. Then one day, a girl from this society somehow discovers (not sure how yet) an underground group (literally) that has piercings and tattoos and dyes their hair, etc. There will be some adventure elements and maybe a little romance. I was thinking for the Unaltered they could have Puritan style names or something plain, not too flashy. For the Altered, I'm looking for exactly the opposite. Here are my ideas so far:

Benno- the male lead; strong, handsome, smart, rough around the edges, brave, etc.
    Temperance- the female lead; curious, daring, doesn't understand her way of life, etc.

I just don't love the name Temperance. And Benno doesn't seem quite right yet. I don't know. As for other characters, I honestly haven't thought much about their names, but anything that follows the style of Unaltered and Altered. Thanks in advance for the help!

The story idea seems really cool. I also agree that Temperance is not a great name, but that could feature into the story--perhaps this character hates her name and tries to have a nickname (Tem or Em or something from her middle name) but her strict Unaltered parents won't let her have a nickname (just throwing ideas around here, you don't have to listen to them) and once she finds the Altered people she gets to have a nickname or even decides to change her name slightly (Like she tells them to call her Tempest or something)
    I'm just saying, you could work with a name that you don't like--your character could hate it, too.
    Other suggestions instead of Temperance...hmm...I don't really use simpler, 'Puritan style' names in any of my work, so that's hard. Maybe:
    Eleanor
    Verity
    Hope
    Margaret/Margot

These seem pretty plain to me.

As for Benno, I need to see some other examples of Altered names so I have something to go by. As a name, though, I'm not sure if I should pronounce it Ben-oh or Bean-oh. I would choose something else.

Hope that helped.
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

That sounds like a creative story idea! I agree with stardust17's suggestion of Verity. I found lots of names for your female lead using the nameberry post, Blue Jean Baby Names, and the list, Virtue Names.
    Amity
    Felicity
    Mae
    Mary
    Millie
    Faye
    Catherine
    Sarah
    Sally
    Willa
    Clara
    Alice
    Grace
    Emma
    Leah
    Ruth
    Molly
    Jane
    Callie
    Maggie
    June
    Frances
    Liza
    Edith
    Edie
    Abby
    Laura
    Caroline
    Hannah
    Anna
    Rose
    Clarity
    Clemency
    Cora
    Mercy
    Honora
    Nora
    For your male lead I wasn't sure what you are looking for, but I tried anyway.
    Under Construction

My tablet cut my post off. Here's what I could come up with for your male lead.
    Anders
    Fox
    Wolf
    Wolfgang
    Huck
    Ford
    Lysander
    Jayden(This is my name and I am a girl, but I have been told that it sounds like a bad boy name.)
    Reeve(or Reeves)
    Ryder
    Zane
    Alec
    Xander/Zander
    Jagger
    Diesel
    Hawk
    Hawthorne(possibly with Hawk as a nickname)
    Beau
    Apollo
    Gunner
    Blaise/Blaze
    Urban(It was an actual name in the Roman empire)
    Lucian
    Lars
    Maddox
    Hart
    Rufus
    Ace
    Lyon
    Lionel
    Leo
    Sanders

Good luck with your story!
    Under Construction

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."
    -Walt Whitman