Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you feel about this name?

I'm never really sure how I feel about this name. It's a family name and there would be (I think) intense pressure to pick this one if someday in the far off future I was having a boy. It was my parents' favorite name they never used. It's a family name. The name is

Sometimes I feel nostalgic and I love it, and sometimes I can't stand it. Carl is never very trendy. It's out and seems to be out forever. I never see this name in posts about name trends. No one seems to like this name. In movies a lot of Carls seem nerdy and very serious. Carl is described "no-nonsense", which doesn't sound good (neither does the rest of the Name berry description)

I have never known anyone with this name, although we had this neighbor who was anti-social and not a good association for me. I didn't know him. The family connections are good.

A lot of the other forms are popular. Like Charles, Charlotte, and Caroline. I like Caroline, but Charles is an ex of a close friend and Charlotte is too popular. I'm not too fond of Carly or Carla.
    The Latino forms Carlos and Carlo are fun. I am a huge Psych fan, so I love the name Carlton, but you have to have the right last name I think with Carlton/Carleton.

I don't know. It popped in a book I was reading as a joke.

What do you think? Do you like Carl? Do you know a lot of them? Is it too dated? Will it be too dated in ten years to seven years to thirteen years when I might have a son?Do you prefer more modern boys names such as Callum or more traditional names like Carl?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by emilyva; December 26th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
    Aspiring Writer. Loves books.

Also inspired by television.

Current Favorite Letters are B, C, F, and G.

I actually have a student named Karl (I'm in China, so it's in no way indicative of US/UK naming trends). When I first met him, his name struck me as a bit off... he's really cool, and Karl struck me as a bit of an old/nerdy name. However, I'd have to say it's a name that's really grown on me. It's much more versatile than I previously thought. Also, I think there's a Carl on "The Walking Dead"... I'd definitely spell it Carl, though, not Karl (a bit too Marx).
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I've only ever known one Carl, he'd be in university now. I didn't know him that well but he was pretty social and outgoing, not serious or nerdy at all. I think it's a nice, solid name that doesn't stand out too much but isn't common/popular either. I could imagine a Carl of any age.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

I know just one Carl. He's incredibly tall, red-headed, forgetful, fit, hilarious, adventurous and intelligent. He has a lot of freckles and is really strong. Because of this, Carl strikes me as one of the most personable names - it's funny how experiences of other people colour our opinions!
    Carlisle is a big family name for me so I'm 99% sure I'll use it at least in the middle some day.
    To sum up: I like Carl. Carlisle may be an option for you too. Best of luck!
    Last edited by jem; December 26th, 2013 at 04:09 AM. Reason: typo!
    I'm twenty with a furbaby named Frederick

* Beatrix * Clementine * Penelope * Cecilia * Margo *

* Theodore * Hugo * Edmund * Felix * Lysander *

I really want to love Carl, since Carl Sagan is a hero of mine, but I just can't quite do it. I think it's simply the sound of the name itself--it seems like a one syllable name trying to be two syllables if that makes sense. (I have pregnancy insomnia, so this could be all rambles.) Carlisle is a great suggestion. I've never known any Carls myself, so it doesn't seem as dated as other names.