Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Made-up names from Tortall...

I'm just curious at what other people think of Tamora Pierce's unique names from her YA Tortall series and whether you think they could ever be wearable in real life and not just in a fictional fantasy land. I'm picking the ones I assume are made-up or just really unique but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Which are your favorites and which do you dislike? Why?

Unfortunately my poll for some reason isn't showing up so here are some names;
    Which are ready to wear today? Just a few of many:
    Thayet
    Veralidaine
    Keladry
    Matthias
    Martinin
    Baylisa
    Lewyth
    Tullus
    Gershom
    Teodorie
    Kalasin
    Koramin
    and ... Farmer
    Last edited by lunalu; November 23rd, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

Quite a lot of these aren't made up actually.

Thayet - This is a district in Burma, but other wise, could be i name I suppose.

Veralidaine - according to instantnamebook.com - this name is Celtic...never heard it though and don't like it

Keladry - according to evenhealth.com - Keladry is Norwegian and means from the Farm by the spring...don't like this either though

Matthias - This is a real name! My friend is dating a guy with this name. Nameberry has it listed as Ecclesiastic Greek variation of Matthew. New Testament apostolic name makes an appealing and recommended choice.

Martinin - I can't find this one but sounds like Martini to me...

Baylisa - couldn't find this one either...It's alright

Lewyth - The Dictionary of Archaic and Provencial Words lists this as meaning "that which is left". Apparently there's also a priest in Ireland named Father Lewyth...it came up when I searched. It seems like it could work via Llewellyn

Tullus - My friend who is dating Matthias has the last name Tullus. Could work as a boys name maybe.

Gershom - This is a real name. Nameberry lists it as - Hebrew, "stranger, exodus" Old Testament name of a son of Moses used by the Puritans, and now by Orthodox Jews.

Teodorie - I found this spelled Teodory on thinkbabynames.com - Teodory \
    te(o)-do-ry\ as a girl's name is a variant of Theodora (Greek), and the meaning of Teodory is "God's gift".

Kalasin - I can't find this one but google says it's a surname...I think it could work fine though.

Koramin - Can't find this one either, but it seems fine too. nn Kora

Farmer - Farmer is definitely not made up...it's a profession name and a surname (I've known several people with this last name) it's being used as a first name now with lots of other profession names....I don't like it though
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I love Tamora Pierce, and I love her inventive names. My favorite has always been Daine (Veralidaine, not so much). I think Keladry is interesting, and Thayet is exotically pretty. I also like Dovesary, nn Dove. I think it's actually really pretty and would be fun to use, but it's more on my guilty pleasures list than my actual list.

As far as I know, Tamora Pierce hasn't made up a lot of the names she uses - most of them are variations on real names, I think. Either way, I like:

Keladry
    Conall
    Anders
    Domitan
    Esmond
    Faleron
    Merric
    Kalasin
    Maren (a country)
    Verene
    Henry John, Charles Wesley
    Eleanor June, Clara Sparling

I love Veralidaine (or just Daine) and Keladry, although Keladry is a little harsh.

I also like:
    Adalia
    Anders (b)
    Ankoret - variant of the Celtic "Anchoret"
    Arram (b) - this is a real name, and was on my long list for awhile.
    Atisa
    Coram (b)
    Delia
    Dovasary
    Elnore
    Elsren
    Esmond (b)
    Faleron (b)
    Flyndan (b)
    Inness (b)
    Isalena
    Lalasa
    Loesia
    Marek (b)
    Maren
    Nealan (b)
    Numair (b) - another real name
    Pembery
    Roald (b)
    Sarain
    Saren
    Tahoi
    Vinson (b)
    Wayland (b)
    Winnamine
    Wyldon (b)
    Zorina

And no, I don't know all those off the top of my head... I got them from here: http://tamorapierce.com/faq_pronoun.html
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k m

Florence Beatrix Guinevere Helena Vivian
    August Barnaby Roland Whitney Atlas