Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Red face Adoption-Berries

Hello, all. There may already be a thread for this, but I, out of curiosity, would like to know if any other berries are adopting/have adopted. If so, from what country? Reason for adopting? Do you know when you will get custody (if you don't already have it)? Did you keep their given name, or give them a different one? How old were they? Did you adopt one child, or multiple? Just whatever you feel like sharing

My husband and I are adopting from Nigeria. (technically non-Nigerian citizens cannot adopt, but thankfully we have been able to go through with it). We were planning on just adopting Pascal; a boy, estimated age three. Two weeks ago, we were informed that he has a sister at the orphanage who is estimated 10 months, Mauryn. We made the decision to adopt her as well. We are almost positive we are changing Mauryn's name, but to what, we do not know. Pascal wants an "American" name, but we don't know if we'll put it in the middle spot or first. We don't really like the name Pascal (personal preference, no offence to anyone who does), but he's three and he responds to his name so we feel like it could be cruel to change. Lots to think about. Anybody experienced that? Well, anyway, we fly out in Feb, and hopefully will bring them home in March! We cannot wait! <3
    2 littles calling me Mommy, Waiting on #3 & 4 through our first adoption

Zev (15.06.09) & Koa (25.04.11)

We adopted our son at birth. He is now two years old. We have a domestic transracial open adoption, if you would like all of the labels. After our homestudy was complete, we waited three months to be placed with our son. We were not expecting things to move that quickly, it was a big surprise. We were thinking a year, maybe two. After he was placed with us, it took over a year for the adoption to be finalized even though it was uncontested and completely voluntary- it just takes a long time. Adoptions are not a priority for courts. Our son's birthmother asked us to name him, so his name did not change. If she had wanted to name him, I think we would have kept it, though.

We had always planned to adopt "someday" and then we had difficulty conceiving, so it was a pretty easy decision to make. We adopted domestically for two main reasons:

1) We ideally wanted an open adoption, which we knew would be much easier if we adopted domestically. My husband's grandmother was adopted back in the 1930s. She found her birthmom after she reached adulthood and we knew how important that connection was to her. She loved her parents as well, she just also really wanted her birthfamily in her life, which makes perfect sense to me. We love that we get to have an open adoption and we love our son's birthfamily. Not all adoptions can be open, and we know wonderful families with happy well-adjusted kids who can't have open adoptions. But for us, it was absolutely the right decision.

2) Because we understand the language, customs, and legal system of this country, so we felt like it was easier to ensure an ethical adoption. That is not to say that people cannot conduct adoptions ethically overseas, just that (as I am sure you already know) it is a lot of work to make sure that things are happening the way that they ought to.

I haven't adopted but have always been curious about it. If you don't mind me asking, if non-nigerian citizens legally can't adopt, how are you getting around that?
    Mummy of One:

Dominic Jameson: 3rd November 2013

Quote Originally Posted by vienna View Post
    Hello, all. There may already be a thread for this, but I, out of curiosity, would like to know if any other berries are adopting/have adopted. If so, from what country? Reason for adopting? Do you know when you will get custody (if you don't already have it)? Did you keep their given name, or give them a different one? How old were they? Did you adopt one child, or multiple? Just whatever you feel like sharing
    I'm in the process of adopting a little girl from Eastern Europe (I'm not allowed to share her country until after the adoption is complete). I wasn't planning on adopting right now but when I saw her picture online, I just knew she was meant to be my daughter. I'm not sure of when the adoption will be complete; I'm still working on getting my home study completed. I'm hoping that she will be home by next Christmas though! She is 2. I am only adopting her, but I'd love to adopt two.

I know her birth name but I don't think I'll keep it because it'll be constantly mispronounced in English. I will be using it as her middle name though!
    Current favorites:
    Cora . Louisa . Lydia . Mary

My Adoption Journey

I have a friend who was adopted internationally, although I'm not sure how old he was. His father wanted to make his son John III or IIII or whatever it was to continue the family tradition, so he kept his birth name as his middle and went by his middle. So John was rarely used but it was still there as a connection to his family traditions.
    Mia, Arena, Miranda, Anastasia, Tessa, Cheyenne, Mariah, Ashlyn, Vivica, Isabella
    Travis, Corbin, Benjamin, Connor, Grayson, Ronan, Rhett, Enzo, Preston, Hudson