Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I actually like both of these names. However, Claudia has a little more of an exotic feel.

Pamela Jean
    Pamela Sue
    Pamela Leigh

Claudia Faline
    Claudia Esme
    Claudia Bijou

I very much dislike the American (or perhaps common Anglophone) pronunciation of Pamela, and associate it with middle-aged women from the Midwest named Pam, with that horrible eh-inflected dipthongy elongated Midwestern American a sound. And the cooking spray. Ugh.

But I've read that the name was actually invented by a 16th-century poet, and was originally pronounced pa-MAY-lah, which is much nicer. Hard to get people to use such a pronunciation, though.

Claudia, on the other hand, sounds very nice and international whether you use the Cloudy-a pronunciation or the Claw-dya pronunciation. Sadly, it does mean "lame" (as in disabled in the feet/legs), but the meaning is not very closely associated with the name, so I think that's fine.

I'm wondering if there are other international names that are associated with honey, as Pamela is, that you might like? Devorah, Madhavi, Mielle?
    Last edited by daisychain; December 23rd, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Claudia seems more cosmopolitan to me. Pamela does seem dated to me. I prefer Claudia.

@mickie86 - why does everyone associate Pamela with older mn's like Jean and Sue while Claudia gets the fun ones like Esme? Are there any modern/unique mn that work with Pamela?

@daisychain - Thanks! I pronounce Claudia CLAW-dee-a not Clowdy-a. And at least with Pamela I don't have the MidWestern American accent! It's not the meaning of Pamela that I love, it's the "mela" sound. I don't love the Pam sound, but the Mela is so pretty! And I think I do prefer Claudia. Any MN ideas?

@alysonr8 - thanks for your opinion. What do you mean by cosmopolitan?
    Isla, Sadie, Neva, Thalia, Leora, Sylvia, Maeve, Flora, Aria & Tessa
    Noah, Henry, Ronan, Wyatt, August, Caleb, Grant, Charlie, Flynn & Alfie

I meant international and sophisticated.