Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I actually like both of these names. However, Claudia has a little more of an exotic feel.

Pamela Jean
    Pamela Sue
    Pamela Leigh

Claudia Faline
    Claudia Esme
    Claudia Bijou

I very much dislike the American (or perhaps common Anglophone) pronunciation of Pamela, and associate it with middle-aged women from the Midwest named Pam, with that horrible eh-inflected dipthongy elongated Midwestern American a sound. And the cooking spray. Ugh.

But I've read that the name was actually invented by a 16th-century poet, and was originally pronounced pa-MAY-lah, which is much nicer. Hard to get people to use such a pronunciation, though.

Claudia, on the other hand, sounds very nice and international whether you use the Cloudy-a pronunciation or the Claw-dya pronunciation. Sadly, it does mean "lame" (as in disabled in the feet/legs), but the meaning is not very closely associated with the name, so I think that's fine.

I'm wondering if there are other international names that are associated with honey, as Pamela is, that you might like? Devorah, Madhavi, Mielle?
    Last edited by daisychain; December 23rd, 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Claudia seems more cosmopolitan to me. Pamela does seem dated to me. I prefer Claudia.

@mickie86 - why does everyone associate Pamela with older mn's like Jean and Sue while Claudia gets the fun ones like Esme? Are there any modern/unique mn that work with Pamela?

@daisychain - Thanks! I pronounce Claudia CLAW-dee-a not Clowdy-a. And at least with Pamela I don't have the MidWestern American accent! It's not the meaning of Pamela that I love, it's the "mela" sound. I don't love the Pam sound, but the Mela is so pretty! And I think I do prefer Claudia. Any MN ideas?

@alysonr8 - thanks for your opinion. What do you mean by cosmopolitan?

Annabel, Beatrice, Tessa, Pippa, Clara, Kit, Evie, Augusta

Oscar, Albus, Felix, Ronan, Wally, Wyatt, Henry, Charlie

please vote on my name list!

I meant international and sophisticated.