Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Snap. Sounds ridiculous to me. Would most people in the US really not know its meaning?! It also comes across as pretentious. Might as well name him Royalty or Aristocracy- that's how odd it sounds to me, sorry.

I learned about it one of my history courses in Elementary School, so that was my first thought as well. I remember my backyard neighbor shouting it at her dog, and I was a little confused. I wish I had something nicer to say, but I think it's a little silly.
    Last edited by birdies; December 20th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
    xx - Claire Elisabeth Lynne - Juliet June - Abigail Margot -
    xy - Jeffrey Erich - Simon James - Regan Grant - Graham Elliot -

I don't think that will be an issue in the US. It's not a very common or known word here. My first association is actually a band here in the US named Montgomery Gentry which are the surnames of the 2 band members. They're a country band which just adds to the "cowboy" feel being in the US.
    - Favorites -
    Etta . Evelyn . Hazel . Iris . Lilia . Lilith . Noelle . Rose . Ruby . Vera . Willow
    Connor . Evan . Ezra . Foster . Grey . Kieran . Rowan . Shane . Silas . Zane

- Top Picks -
    Willow Evelyn & Foster Grey

- Rainbow Baby Due June 2, 2015 -

I like it

I have never met someone with the first name Gentry, though I do know a family with the last name Gentry. I wouldn't worry about UK associations too much if you intend to continue living in the US. Most people in the US know little to nothing about UK class systems, and even those with awareness would not make that as the first connection.
    Ashley l Christian l Journalist

Lorelei Anne, Hermione Iris, Rosalind Cora

Phineas Reid

I had no idea what the name meant until looking it up on here, I'd only ever heard it used as a name. It says it is a surname as well. I'm going to be living in U.S. so not too up concerned about the meaning as I don't think the meaning is one too many people here would know right off the bat. I didn't realize that it was such a well known word or should I say one that is still used in Britain. Interesting. Thought it was more of a British surname.

Love it Go for it
    直美 Naomi

Lucia Pascale

Avery Edward Francis