Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    My husband is an atheist; I'd consider myself essentially a deist, but with some pagan leanings. Both of us were raised as Christians, with his family being a lot more fundie, although mine has its fair share of those as well.

Like others in this thread, we don't necessarily feel obligated to expose our kids to any religious tradition, but when Grandma and Grandpa visit and want to take them to church, we don't prohibit it. If they have questions about what we believe or what others believe (Asher is the only one who's really old enough to ask thus far, but he hasn't much), we answer them candidly. If they ever reach a point as they grow where they want to explore religions on their own, we'll encourage them to do as they wish and support them in whatever choice they make.

Quote Originally Posted by ricalini View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but I really am just curious. Does agnostic atheist mean you don't believe in God at all?
    My brother is agnostic. To simplify, I think the difference is thus:

Agnostic: Not sure about the existence of God.
    Atheist: Sure that God does not exist/Does not believe in God.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    My brother is agnostic. To simplify, I think the difference is thus:

Agnostic: Not sure about the existence of God.
    Atheist: Sure that God does not exist/Does not believe in God.
    Thanks! That makes a lot more sense then.
    Mia, Arena, Miranda, Anastasia, Tessa, Cheyenne, Mariah, Ashlyn, Vivica, Isabella
    Travis, Corbin, Benjamin, Connor, Grayson, Ronan, Rhett, Enzo, Preston, Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by ricalini View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but I really am just curious. Does agnostic atheist mean you don't believe in God at all? Are you teaching your children different religions just so they are well rounded and accepting of diversity? Because I don't understand why you would encourage choosing a religion if you don't have one at all?
    My husband's father was actually raised similarly to this. Both of his parents were atheist/agnostic, but they exposed their seven children to different religions by taking them to various services and philosophically discussing them. Most of the children are on the atheist/agnostic side of the spectrum, but one of them is actually a minister now.

Husband and I both have Jewish mothers and non-Jewish, agnostic fathers. We were both raised Jewish, but currently have more agnostic/humanist beliefs. We both feel attachment to parts the Jewish culture, but it is difficult to separate the culture from the religion in many ways. Plus, Judaism is tough because there's a lot of pressure to not "let the religion/culture disappear." We'll probably end up going the Hebrew school route and work on critical reasoning and introspection about beliefs at home. It would be awesome if we lived near a jewish humanist congregation, but there are so few of them.
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catherine, Cordelia Iseult, Cosima Beatrix, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

My husband and I are not religious. He considers himself Agnostic, while I don't really consider myself anything really. My "belief", so to speak, is that of positive energy, and everything in the universe being connected. Energy is ever moving, never disappearing, and what we put out into the world we get back. We are not raising our children (when we have them) in any religion, I feel it would be hypocritical of me to take them to church to learn about something that I don't believe in. Our first and foremost want for are children is to be good, honest, open individuals. We will teach them to be accepting and respectful of everyone and their varying beliefs. When they have questions about different religions we will answer them, when they are old enough to explore and want to learn about different religions and explore different faiths we will be understanding and not hold them back. It will be their decision what they choose to believe.
    Expecting our December Rainbow!
    Fiona/Ophelia/Daphne
    Apollo/Chance/Dhani/Beckett
    My fur babies: Toby and Trixie
    GP: Desdemona/Phadera/Cressida/Devereaux/Tybalt/Tiberius/Kai